Sunday, May 2, 2010

full week-church, work, friends, sports

Elders over for dinner on Monday. I survived. So did the Elders. (I dislike cooking for others...it makes me feel very insecure). They really are nice and it was good to have them over. Served Amy's Ravioli casserole recipe. Yum. However, I killed the yeast on my dinner rolls, though. I warned the Elders they were like soft rocks. The dear, sweet Elder said, "But I like soft rocks!" Bless him. Bless them both.

Quarterly Primary Activity Day on Tuesday. I joke and say my only goal for activity days are getting them over with, but I really do care. I think it went well...but I'm still not good at planning on enough that keeps the youngest ones engaged. So, it could have been better. We'll work on that. We had no power at our house for 5 hours that afternoon (due to the hurricanal winds, I'm sure), but luckily it stayed on at the church so we didn't have to freak about having 36 kids in a pitch-black gym.

Thursday and Friday I subbed. Once again, I joke (well, only half-joking sometimes) and say I set my standards low and that I consider it a successful day of subbing if no one gets injured. I accomplished that (though Glen almost had a girl fight on his hands this week, luckily it didn't go past verbal). I like it when I can really feel like I helped the students. Mixed review in that category for this week.

Friday night I had Intervention/Quidditch at my house. Lots of laughing. I asked Glen if we kept waking him up. Surprisingly, he said no. But we all know he can sleep just about anywhere (see paragraph below). As far as the name now goes...it used to be called scrapbooking, but usually no scrapbooking got done, so we switched the name to Intervention. Some of us really feel it helps to keep us sane and makes us nicer to our families, so it fit. Then the name quidditch got brought up. Jennifer wanted to be able to tell people, "I can't tonight. I have quidditch." I'll have to ask her if she's used that phrase yet. Anyway the fact that broom flying is involved also makes it fit... "Quidditch" is just funner than "Intervention," don't cha think?

The choir's trip to the San Francisco Giants/Colorado Rockies game got canceled, but since Glen and his brothers had already bought tickets, they loaded up a few of the boys and went anyway. It made for a very long day, but they had a great time. Though my nephew Michael tells me they took a picture of Glen, Eric, and Alex napping during the game. Typical...there was napping going on during church today too. What will Glen do with all his time in the next life when he won't need to sleep anymore?

Ryan, who originally was going to go to the baseball game, stayed home and participated in the swim meet. He was scheduled for 2 single events and 2 relays...but the last relay was canceled because one of the 4 boys on the relay team hurt his shoulder in a previous heat. Ryan knows he didn't improve his 50 yd freestyle time but results haven't been posted on his 100 yd free yet...but he thinks he was 1 second faster. Don't know about the relay yet (and I was one of the timers! Didn't think to write down their times).

Saturday evening I began to fear I was coming down with a cold...I hoped my nasal distress was due to the wind kicking things up, but this morning's heavy head confirmed that I caught a little bug. I'm feeling better this evening and I'm hoping for a good week--I'm proctoring some AP tests at the high school, so several half-days of work.

Andrew's mission has transfers this week, so no Monday email. We'll get one on Wednesday instead. He's been training a new missionary in Sioux City for the past 2 transfers, so we're pretty sure he'll get a change. Can't wait to see! It's always so exciting.

So, here's to only 24 school days to go till summer vacation! And Eric's graduation!

4 comments:

  1. YOU HAD A BUSY WEEK! That casserole is SO good, huh? Glad you like it! Thanks for inviting me to Quidditch! I like that name, too! I am glad my screaming (twice)didn't wake anyone up! I totally didn't think of sleeping family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great time at Quidditch -- it's always funner at someone else's house. The hurricanal winds merely blipped our power. Thank you for being such a wonderful hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are super busy! Sorry I missed Quidditch it sounded like a ton of fun. I got my days mixed up, thanks for the invite though:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy lady. Yes, thanks for the quidditch match. I believe JJones won by using funner and hurricanal in the same comment.

    ReplyDelete