this year, but we wanted to do something together. We decided to go visit our parents in Brookings, Oregon.
Denise arrived at my house on Saturday, so she was able to be there in Church when I was called to be the new Primary President (gasp! but that's a post for a different day) and when I was set apart, so that was very, very neat.
Monday morning we set out at 7:40 and guessed we'd be arriving in Brookings at about 5 pm. We had a little adventure along the way that changed our arrival until 6:10. The adventure was this: we were stopped for construction on 44 and a few minutes after the traffic was allowed to slowly start, there was a funny noise...we had a flat tire.
We were blessed because we weren't going very fast,
we found a little niche to pull off in,
there was no traffic whizzing past us while we changed the tire (which was on the other side of the car from the traffic anyway), and
I WAS ABLE TO GET THE LUG NUTS OFF!!! (that's the biggest miracle of all).
We had all the pieces we needed,
the car's booklet was in the glove box so we had instructions (which we really needed because we couldn't figure out how to get the jack detached from the side of the trunk),
got the car jacked up,
changed the tire (which was a full-sized tire and not a doughnut-yea!).
Now, the tire was a little low on air, but it had enough. We drove a while and stopped in Hat Creek. She didn't have air but called ahead and sent us to Old Station where there was a gas station that had air. We checked the tightness of the lug nuts occasionally and managed to make it to Brookings with no further problems.
I'm so proud of us!!! I took the picture of Denise when she wasn't aware I was doing it...didn't tell her till many miles later. My arms are just a teeny bit sore today, but I'm just really happy that it all worked out so well.
I had kind of hoped that someone would stop and help us (I knew if we really needed help I should put a white cloth on my antennae, but I wanted to try it on my own first instead of acting like a helpless female) but I'm happy to say now that we managed on our own.
At one place where we stopped to check the lug nuts a man came over to us and asked us if we were the ones he had seen changing a tire. We said yes and then he said something about we were just putting our stuff away so he knew we didn't need him. It was nice to know that someone would have stopped to lend a hand if it had looked like we needed it.
Day 2 has now started...and we gloriously don't know what we are going to do today, though obviously I need to get the flat fixed and the other tires checked before we head home again.
Quite the "vacation" beginning... Have fun the rest of your trip! BTW, one of my childhood friends also just started her mission in the Des Moines Mission. She got there just last week or so. The mission president is the Talbots, right? Anyway, tell Andrew to look out for Sister Jardine!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, actually she flew out to Des Moines on the same flight as Andrew! This world is a crazy place...
ReplyDeleteMe, again. Sorry this is so scattered and has nothing to do with your original post. I was just reading one of my friend's letters that her mom has posted on her blog, and she made this entry from the MTC on July 7th:
ReplyDelete"Okay, I’m waiting in the laundry room now and Sister Hoskins randomly started beat boxing. Then Elder Perazzo literally busted out the lesson of the restoration. I just heard the 1st lesson in rap. Hilarious!"
So yeah, they know each other. And it sounds like Andrew is still....Andrew :)
Beth - I didn't get a chance to tell you on Sunday, but I think you will be an amazing Primary Prez (though you'll be greatly missed in YW!) We got stuck in that construction on 44 when we went to Oregon a few weeks ago. Hope you guys have a great time!!
ReplyDelete~Amy
Calista, that is too funny. I remember Andrew mentioning Sisters Hoskins and Jardine...that is just wild.
ReplyDeleteDon't apologize. You can post as many times as you like on my blog.
And Andrew told me that the rapping things started when the other Elders tried to rap a discussion and couldn't do it, so it was Andrew's turn and apparently he did a great job.
Yep, Andrew is still Andrew.
Thanks Amy.
ReplyDeleteI'll miss being in Young Women's too, but I'm also happy to be in Primary (ask me if I'm happy in a few months though and we'll see how things are going.
You and your sister are what I like to call "the BOMB"! I am so impressed with your abilities. I want to be like you when I grow up, seriously. I honestly don't think I could do that if I had to! Good job!!
ReplyDelete