That means that I call on someone to pray for us at our teachers' prayer meetings before class starts each morning. I will probably have to speak...or at least conduct...seminary graduation in May and the kick-off in August. I can deal with that. When they called me in, I was afraid they wanted to release me from seminary. I would be okay if they did, but I really love teaching seminary. So, I'm glad I get to stay.
Friday night was stamping. Good times. Here are the cards we made.
Saturday started the formal track season. Alex has been having track practice a few days a week, but as of yesterday, he will now have track 6 days a week. He's already been sore. He might just use the hot tub a bit more. The first meet is in Fallon on Saturday March 11th. Good luck Alex!
Saturday also brought the Girls' 3A State Championship to the Greenwave! First time ever, I think. Way to go, girls!
Another exciting thing from Saturday was that BYU's basketball team beating the undefeated Gonzaga team! Glen and Alex got to see the game at Grandma's house. I was home finishing up my talk...
They had the wives of the Bishopric members speak today at church. We've known for quite a while, so it gave us plenty of time to think about our assigned topic: the Atonement.
It's interesting how it all falls into place. We didn't coordinate with each other ahead of time, though we did check with each other to make sure we weren't overlapping. I spoke first on using the Atonement by repenting...or, better said, I spoke on some of the things that keep us from repenting. Terra spoke on the enabling power of the Atonement. Kara spoke on the outcome of the Atonement.
After I was done, I, of course, wish I had done some things differently, but all in all, I thought it was a wonderful meeting.
I used some articles from the March 2017 New Era magazine that just came out and also Elder Dale G. Renlund's talk from this past October's General Conference titled Repentance: A Joyful Choice.
Elder
Jeffrey R. Holland said, "Repentance is
simply the scriptural invitation for growth and improvement and progress and
renewal."
Elder Holland stated: “However
late you think you are, however many chances you think you have missed, however
many mistakes you feel you have made … , or however far from home and family and God you feel you
have traveled, I testify that you have not traveled beyond the reach of divine
love. It is not possible for you to sink lower than the infinite light of
Christ’s Atonement shines.”
President Boyd K. Packer said: “The reach of the Savior’s Atonement
is infinite in breadth and depth, for you and for me. But it will never be
imposed on us…. Repentance is a choice."
The
March New Era has an article titled “Just What the Doctor Ordered.” The author,
Charlotte Larcabal, gives a great analogy. The guiding principle for medical
practitioners is “first do no harm.” She says that doesn’t mean they promise to never cause pain, but instead that
everything they do will always be for their patient’s well-being. She
reminds us that Jesus Christ and Heavenly
Father are perfect, so [we] can be absolutely certain that everything They ask
of [us] will be for [our] own good. Always. So when God prescribes a dose of
repentance, it’s because He knows it will bless [our lives.] Repentance isn’t
about punishment. It’s about healing, triumphing over weakness, putting off the
natural man, and turning away from sin in order to turn to God…. Trust His
promises that even though it may hurt for a little while, with great mercies
will He gather you, ...and you will be filled with joy as
exceeding as your pain.
Elder D. Todd
Christofferson said, “Repentance means striving to
change. It would mock the Savior’s suffering in the Garden of Gethsemane and on
the cross for us to expect that He should transform us into angelic beings with
no real effort on our part. Rather, we seek His grace to complement and reward
our most diligent efforts (see
2 Nephi
25:23).”
President Uchtdorf said, “Satan would rather that you define yourself by your
sins instead of your divine potential. … Don’t listen to him.”
Elder Holland reminds us that, “…the great thing about the gospel is we
get credit for trying, even if we don’t always succeed.”
President Thomas S.
Monson said, “Our responsibility is to rise from mediocrity to
competence, from failure to achievement. Our task is to become our best
selves.”
Elder Renlund said, “God does love us. However, what we do matters to Him and to us. He
has given clear directives about how we should behave. We call these
commandments. His approbation and our eternal life depend on our behavior,
including our willingness to humbly seek real repentance."
Christ
has “graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands” (Isaiah 49:16). Linda K. Burton, Relief
Society General President, says, “That supreme act of love ought to send each
of us to our knees in humble prayer to thank our Heavenly Father for loving us
enough that He sent His Only Begotten and perfect Son to suffer for our sins,
our heartaches, and all that seems unfair in our own individual lives.”


No comments:
Post a Comment