Friday, January 29, 2010

More Progress

First off, Glen is still doing well in his "Biggest Loser" competition at school. As reported 2 weeks ago, he lost 5 pounds the first week. Last week he had lost 2 and this week it was 3 pounds. So he has lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks of dieting. He's not on any particular diet, he's just been exercising and making better food choices. Good going Glen! As for me, I'm holding my own and staying steady...which for this time of the year is progress for me, since I usually gain during the winter months. I still need to start exercising.

As for Eric, he started his first community college class this week. He is still taking a "full" load at the high school but this is a way for him to be introduced to the community college life (full is in quotes because he has several classes with no homework...choir, guitar, and ceramics, with French and theatre having very little homework--only Government and English should be keeping him busy). Our plan is for him to go to the community college next fall. So this is a taste for him.

He is taking Anthropology 201-People and Cultures of the World. They meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30-6:45 and it's a video conference class originating from Carson City. It's a topic he's interested in because it will help him develop cultures in his writing and in developing his Persistence of Memory fictional world that he creates online with a friend of his.

I was told by the counselor that I could attend with him as long as I wanted to. We weren't sure how it would go...would he speak up? So, on Tuesday the teacher called roll and Eric's name was not on it. He did not say anything (the video conference kind of messed it up as she asked for the names of the 2 people in Fallon that weren't on her roll, when there were 3 people in Fallon not on her roll. When she got 2 names, she moved on not realizing she had skipped Eric), so I had to tell the AV lady, Loraine, so she had to catch the teacher's attention and they got Eric's name added to the roll.

When she took roll last night everyone said "here" to their name except for Eric. He made some weird noise instead. I thought "yikes" but the teacher just laughed and moved on.

Last night those who had chosen the topic for their oral presentation were to tell her what topic they wanted and what date they wanted for their presentations. Eric actually spoke up with no prodding from me (actually I don't sit in Eric's line of sight, so catching his attention would be difficult). He did a great job--he said his name, that he was in Fallon and then nicely asked if the topic of "food taboos" had been chosen yet. To some of you who may not know Eric well it might seem silly of me to report on this, but I think it really is a big deal. I interpreted that as he had listened to how others would say a topic only to have Dr. Conaway tell them it was already chosen, so he adapted his wording and made it asking instead of telling, if you know what I mean.

I had emailed Dr. Conaway the other day and told her a bit about Eric and his Asperger's Syndrome, but I haven't heard back from her so I don't know if she received my email. But when he asked for food taboos she said it had not been taken and that it was a very good choice. He is the only one who's choice she commented on, so I wonder if she read my email and is trying to encourage Eric. She told us on Tuesday that she herself has dyslexia and has a PhD so people with disabilities can do anything (or something like that).

Anyway, I think next Tuesday I will attend for the few minutes during the business portion and then go out to the hall and leave him on his own. I think he's up to it...but I may not be. I just want to make sure he gets the support he needs without being babied, but sometimes it's hard to know where the line is...and I know I tend to the "baby" side of the line.

1 comment: