However, I was kind of intrigued by the idea. If I were to do that I can tell you there would changes made to her "rules." First off, it certainly wouldn't be a French cookbook (no offense to Julia Child). And I can't stand that much commitment (I tease Glen that it's amazing I took the risk of getting married). I also would not be able to cook from the book each day. It would be more like once a week. And I probably wouldn't be able to cook every recipe...there are some things I just have no desire to try.
So if I were to cook at least one recipe a week from a cookbook, which cookbook would I choose? I have decided it would be an Alton Brown cookbook. He has a show on FoodNetwork called "Good Eats" and I love the show. He is a bit nutty and shows the science behind the cooking process. A Bill Nye for the kitchen world.
I recently checked one of his cookbooks out of our local library called "I'm Just Here for More Food: food x mixing + heat = baking." It was the only Alton Brown book (I think he has 6) in our library system and I was happy that our branch had a copy. Anyway, the first 83 pages are about the science behind cooking and the various common ingredients. Then come the recipes. Our pizza from Friday night (see photo below...I just love digital cameras) was using his recipe...I even hand-tossed my portion. I really liked it (though Glen thought it was too chewy, but he had his 4 hours after I made it and didn't heat it up first, so I'm not sure if he had a chance to try it at its best).
Our 21st anniversary is on Thursday...so we are giving each other 2 of Alton's books (Glen likes "Good Eats" and cooking too). Besides the baking book, I ordered "I'm Just Here for the Food" which is more of a general cooking book and not specific to baking. It says in the amazon.com blurb that it is for people who would rather understand their food than follow a recipe. I don't know about that, but I do know I like Alton's recipes and I like learning the whys of cooking.
One recipe of Alton's that I really like is his granola bar recipe. If you care to give it a try, here's the link to the recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/granola-bars-recipe/index.html
So, Julie & Julia/Beth & Brown, I guess.
Love Alton Brown! Did you see his show on how he talked about losing weight? He had like FOUR list of rules....I gotta find those lists! I like it! Beth and Brown!
ReplyDeletelol...I had taped if for my husband and we just finished watching it. We wrote down the rules. I will send them to you.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter and I watched Julie & Julia a few weeks ago, and it inspired me to try to write my memories as an Army Brat during the Vietman War.
ReplyDeleteMy blog is
armybrat1965-1969.blogspot
I don't really watch Alton Brown, he's never "clicked" with me. I do watch Rachael Ray, though, and she had a woman on her show a few weeks ago who cooked a Rachael Ray recipe every night for a year. It was really inspiring, actually. She was getting married and I think she ended up losing weight as a result of the challenge. So good luck! I'm trying to cook more healthful meals at home, too, but I'm using a mix of recipes because I get bored ...
ReplyDeleteOh, that's funny Paula. Rachael Ray drives me nuts. Can't stand to watch her...though I would use her cookbooks as I think she does a lot of things I would want to try.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your healthy meals!
Cooking requires time, which I don't have... so I have no idea who Alton Brown is, but any conviction to learn something new or do something better is awesome. And I felt inspired by Julie and Julia too - like blogging actually can do something besides document life.
ReplyDeleteJulia Child's voice drove me nuts though! I just wanted her to shush by the end of the movie :)