Sunday, January 24, 2010

field trips, Les Mis, snow, and texting

Every January we take Glen's drama students to Utah for the Utah Theatre Association's Festival. I think we had 15 students, including Eric. This year it was hosted by Utah Valley University in Orem (last year it was at Weber State in Odgen and next year it will be at Dixie College in St. George). They have workshops during the day and see plays at night. On Thursday the first workshop started at 2 pm. However, Thursday was also the day that our kids could audition for the All-State Choir. So we divided and conquered.

Glen rode the bus with most of his students to Utah (they left at 3 am on Thursday). I took 3 kids and one of their mothers in a van to Carson City for their 10 am audition. Then we drove to Provo, arriving at 9:30 pm. There was supposed to be a 90% chance of snow in Carson that morning...and in Provo that evening, so I was a bit nervous. A lot of prayers were said. We didn't see a single flake fall on Thursday and we able to arrive without any difficulties.

Turns out while we were driving to Provo, the rest of the group was seeing the Pleasant Grove High School's production of "Les Miserables." Our play for Friday night was supposed to be "Little Shop of Horrors" (which I don't like). Not wanting to miss "Les Mis" and not wanting to see "Little Shop," I drove to Pleasant Grove Friday morning and bought tickets for the 5 van people. So we went to Les Mis while the others saw Little Shop.

The play was marvelous. I even liked some of the kids voices better than the voices on my Les Mis CD. The prostitute scene was a bit shocking (I have seen the high school edition before and I don't remember it being so graphic) and I wish they had toned it down, but they sure were talented kids.

It had started snowing slightly before we left to go see the play and it snowed all during the play. We got out and our van looked like this:


We were going 25 mph on the highway getting back to the hotel and it was just a teeny bit slippery, but we made it without an accident, so that was good. The amazing thing is, the snow then stopped. It was gorgeous. Here are some pictures around our hotel:

 


After driving some of the kids up to the first event Saturday morning, I came home. They didn't leave until the end of the conference at 9 pm. I only had to drive through about 3 miles of it snowing and so had a nice trip home. I really feel very blessed. I got in about 4:30 pm Saturday. They got in by 6 am this morning.

The drive home was gorgeous too:

 

Lots of snowy mountains and amazing clouds.

 

Glen and I are coming up in the world. On Thursday Kennedy helped me to send my second ever text message to Glen (the first one was 2 years ago and Hannah helped me). Then on Friday, I sent on by myself. And on Saturday Glen, for the first time ever, sent me a text message all on his own too (it was a one word message--"key" as he had locked himself out of our hotel room). We are really growing up. Texting in another marvel in today's world. Cost us .6 units instead of the 4 that calling would have cost. Love it.

Next field trip: Eric and I are going with the High School's reading club to Santa Barbara at the beginning of February to listen to a lecture by the author Neil Gaiman. That should be fun, too.


2 comments: