Sunday, January 17, 2016

theatre conference in Utah and Glen's new calling

It was time for our annual trip to Utah for the Utah Theatre Association's conference. This year it was at the University of Utah in Salt Lake. We had 18 students, plus 3 other chaperons.

Our hotel was 2 1/2 blocks from the family history library (fhl) and a few miles from U of U. While Glen and the students were attending workshops Friday and Saturday, I was doing family history research. I only found one new piece of info (my 3rd great-aunt Serena A. Miller, daughter of John Miller and Hannah Van Velsor, married William A. Williams...). I was a bit disappointed, but maybe I was expecting too much.

I joined them for the plays. Thursday night we saw "Hello, Dolly!" put on by the University. It was fantastic, of course. Friday night we saw "Big Fish" which was a musical (based on the movie, I guess, but I've never seen the movie). Pretty good. Saturday afternoon we saw "Holes" which was excellent.

When "Holes" was over, Glen, Hannah (who was with us as one of the chaperons), and most of the others boarded the bus and headed for home, hoping to arrive around 2 am or so. I was in my friend's car--she was one of the other chaperons--and we didn't leave till 3:30 am Nevada time. My body just can't take all night drives in a school bus anymore. Especially in the winter. It turns out that the bus sprung a diesel leak at about 10 pm just outside of Wells. Luckily the Elko County School District lent them a bus and they were able to arrive back home around 4:30 am. I arrived home about 10:45 am, which was plenty of time to get ready for church.

At church, our Bishopric was released today after serving for over 7 years. We love them and their families and appreciate all that they have done over the years. And of course when an old Bishopric is released, that means that a new one was put in.

Glen is the new second counselor in our new Bishopric. I know they will all do a great job. I'm so glad that Glen will get to work with such wonderful men, and their wives are the best. We've been wondering for months who the new Bishopric would be and Jake and Greg were at the top of the list. We thought the 3rd member would be my brother-in-law Gary, though. Glen was certainly surprised by the call, but of course is willing to serve and do his best. I'm excited for this opportunity for him to serve in this way.

woke to snow Friday morning--this was my view of the temple on my way to the fhl
photo doesn't do it justice but the snowflakes were perfect 6 and 12 pointed flakes
most of the group just before walking down to East High to see "Holes"
the snowy mountains were all around us on our drive home this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment