Friday, April 29, 2011

if you've ever doubted my sanity...

...now you will have proof that I am not sane.

Our church ward is having a Preparedness Fair on Friday May 13th. I have been asked to man the "dehydration station" this time around (I did vacuum sealers last time). As we were discussing it in a planning meeting, it came up that it might be a good idea to have a self-imposed emergency as an experiment to put into practice some of the things learned during the fair...like go without electricity for a bit. We're going to jump the gun.

Glen and I have decided to give it a try. At 4 today we will "lose" our electricity for about 24 hours. In a way I feel like we are cheating because we chose a convenient time. Since our stove is propane, cooking will still be easy, though the oven won't work. I thought perhaps we should go without propane, too, but it's a thought I quickly let fly out of my head. Going without water (we have a well that runs on electricity) will be enough of a challenge for me for now. And we might be missing our heat as it's supposed to get a bit cold tonight.

Living in Fallon we've certainly had our times of no electricity...but usually it's only out for a few hours at most. I don't know that I've ever gone more than 7 hours without.

A friend of mine lives in Alabama and this is from her email a day or two ago about what is happening there this week due to the tornados:

Well I look at this as a challenge...to really implement our Emergency Preparedness...to work out the kinks to when we have a REAL emergency.  Yeah....we are out of power...the power lines went down and the TVA had to shut down reactors or something...so will be without for 3-5 days.  So far the water situation is still running.  We have over 500 gallons in storage and fixing to fill bathtubs up.  Checked up on neighbors (one homebound and the other newborn twins), some neighbors are going to extended families (Nashville, New Orleans, etc).  I think the hardest hit are the boys....electronics and computers and tv....they are going through serious withdrawals.  Ha!  The Mayor has implemented a curfew.  School will be out until Tuesday.  Our family doctor just dropped by with his daughter on their bikes to borrow batteries. He said they will probably loose all their refrigerated vaccines.

So....all in fun!  :)  (thank goodness for smart phones and car phone chargers!!)


Her email opened up a few thoughts that will help us be better prepared in the future--like making sure we can charge our cell phones using our car batteries. We used to have an adapter...I wonder if Glen knows where it is. Our phones aren't smart, however. Checking in on those around us is another new thought. And of course, having enough water stored.

The main problem I see right now is for Hannah. She'll get in later tonight from one track meet and has to be at the school before 6 am for her next one. She's gonna wanna shower. The kids who'll share the bus with her in the morning are going to want her to shower, too.

Since we canceled our satellite TV subscription on the 9th, we've already had a few weeks to get used to cutting back on our TV viewing (though the kids have been watching things through Netflix). I charged up my DS and cell phone, but other than that I haven't made any special preparations.

I look forward to an evening of playing games.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I admire you for trying this! If anyone can do it, you guys can!

    ReplyDelete