I was introduced to dulce de leche while on my mission in Uruguay. I was told how to make it the old fashioned way...mix sugar and milk and slowly cook it for hours so it can caramelize. Then I was taught the easy way...fill a pot with water, put in an unopened can of sweetened condensed milk making sure the water stays an inch or two above the top of the can and boil for 1 1/2-2 hours. I now have 2 even better methods that I found on the Our Best Bites website:
***
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/11/homemade-dulce-de-leche-easy/
Homemade Dulce de Leche
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Pour sweetened condensed milk into a shallow baking dish. Cover tightly with foil. Place in a larger pan, such as a roasting pan. Fill larger pan with hot water until water level reaches about half way up the baking dish. Cook for about 60 minutes and then check. Continue cooking if necessary. When a medium caramel color is reached, remove from oven and let cool. Whisk until smooth, store in fridge.
Crock Pot Instructions: Place 1-3 sealed cans of sweetened condensed milk in slow cooker. Place enough water in slow cooker to completely cover cans by 1 inch. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Let cans cool completely before opening.
***
I used the first method yesterday (it took 1 hour and 20 minutes to cook) because I was bringing banana crepes to the stamping get-together and I had eaten all the nutella. So we had caramel banana crepes with whipped cream. Fabulous.
But, I really don't need an easier way to make dulce to leche, so hopefully I will keep myself in check and only make it when I have to take something somewhere.
sounds dangerously delicious!
ReplyDeleteNever thought about canning it! I had a roommate that served somewhere with dulce de leche. She introduced me to it by the sweetened condensed milk way. Then when Kevin and I went to Argentina, fell in love all over again! Gonna have to try canning it! SO YUMMY!
ReplyDeleteOoh! I am definitely going to have to make this. I love dulce de leche!!!
ReplyDelete