Sunday, March 27, 2011

I have a [root]beer mug!

Now, I know my sister will recognize the title of this post...will my Mom? Don't know. But it comes from a commercial from years ago. The thing is, I don't know that I ever heard the commercial with my own ears...I think it was just my mom telling Deni and me about it. And we loved it.

person: I have a beer mug!
crowd: Yea!
person: But it's empty.
crowd: Boo!
person: But I'm going to fill it up!
crowd: Yea!
person: But only half-way.
crowd: Boo!
person: Because it has such a nice, creamy head!
crowd: Yea!

Deni and I loved to give that back and forth (using rootbeer instead of beer...at least some of the time). Sometimes I feel life is like that...yeas and boos for the same thing.

So our week:

There's a track meet in Fallon!
Yea!
But the weather is a bit cold and windy.
Boo!
But at least it won't rain on us!
Yea!
But Glen can't come because he's home sick with a cold.
Boo!
But Hannah will be there!
Yea!
But she won't be participating because Friday night she was supposed to run [100 m] and throw [shotput and discus] elsewhere, but it was canceled due to weather and it was too late to add the Freshman and Sophomore to Saturday's meet.
Boo!
But I got to help with the shotput!
Yea!
But I felt I would ruin students lives when I made a mistake [sorry Emily for scratching that one throw when I shouldn't have]. [Emily is from Fallon, but I didn't really ruin her life because she wouldn't have made it to the finals even if we had measured her throw, but I feel terrible, and I hope I measured the other throws accurately].
Boo!
But I got to learn a lot about shotput...well, everything that I now know since I didn't know anything about it before...which is one of my daughter's events.
Yea!

Ryan has a swim meet!
Yea!
But I can't go. [it was in Reno while I was at the track meet here]
Boo!
But he had a great time!
Yea!
But there was a bit of trouble with the 500 meter free-style [the other 2 guys who were supposed to be in the same heat with Ryan weren't going to swim and so what do you do when only one boy wants to swim a long race and the other boys' heat is full?]
Boo!
But they let Ryan swim at the same time as the girls [which the coach said he had never seen happen before]
Yea!
All but one girl beat Ryan [there were only 3 total girls, by the way].
Boo!
But his time was good enough to get him into Regionals which will be in May...by one second! [he swam it in 7 minutes and 19.25 seconds...7 minutes and 20.69 is what was needed to make it to Regionals]
Yea!
But he couldn't reach me to pick him up when they got back into Fallon.
Boo!
But the kind, nice, wonderful coach drove him home [Glen was still passed out in bed and Hannah and I were watching at the Young Women's Broadcast from Salt Lake at Kara's house and my cellphone was turned off]!
Yea!
So now I feel guilty.
Boo!
So I've made cookies for Coach Davis to thank him for his kindness!
Yea! [hope he likes peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies]

So, Glen is sick in bed, but I'm still hoping that after sleeping for 2 days he'll be ready to go to school tomorrow. I brought Alex home from Sacrament meeting today as he wasn't feeling well either...he's not as bad off as Glen, so hopefully he'll be up to going to school tomorrow as he's aiming for a perfect attendance record this year.

Oh! I thought of a new one:
It's March Madness time.
Yea!
But I don't really follow sports.
Boo!
But Alan invited us to join his ESPN Tournament Challenge Drink More Milk group anyway!
Yea!
But all my final four teams are out of the running [Ohio St, Notre Dame, Duke, BYU] and I'm ranked 32nd in the Drink More Milk group.
Boo!
But now I get to root for the underdogs!
Yea!
[too bad Butler and UVC are playing each other next as I would have like to have rooted for them both...I will root for Butler--though I'd be perfectly happy if UVC won--and Kentucky over UConn...and then Butler to win it all]


And, since you might have missed Mindy's comment to my post about Andrew bumping into her in Nauvoo last week, here is Mindy's comment:

It was great to see him! We love it! My dad said that he would be in Nauvoo the same weekend as us, and so when I saw two Elder's walking down the street, I was sure hoping it was him and his companion! So fun!!
P.S. In Andrew's defense about Emily, we were all in the car and I just stepped out to say hi and shake hands! So, I don't even think he saw HER! Also, I think the last time we saw Andrew it was in our stake building in Iowa City and we were cleaning the church on a Friday night or something. Emily was only about 4 months old and when he saw me he said, ... Hey... wait, when did this happen (pointing to Emily- I was carrying her in her front carrier backpack). It was pretty funny. Needless to say, I don't think he has seen her enough to know!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! Do I ever remember that! We would say that over and over again, ad nauseum!! What a funny memory. I wonder if I ever would have ever thought of that again if not for your post. BTW: The last line is ,"..because it has such a nice, creamy head!" Your version reminded me of something that I just heard recently...that at the dinner table a family would have the tradition of going around the table and each would give a "boo" item and then a "yea" item about it, with the family all joining in with a boo or yea after each one. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog! :) (You make me smile--yea!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Deni, I fixed the words! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete