There's a Primary song that goes...Oh, what do you do in the summertime when all the world is green...
And that song keeps running through my head. So, what do we do? I've already posted about camping with Glen's family at Lake Almanor. What else do we do? We visit my parents in Brookings, Oregon.
Brookings in on the coast near the California state line...we love the tsunami warning signs...
Me at the beach.
We helped my Dad walk dogs from the local animal shelter. He usually does that several times a week.
We took the dogs to Chetco Point. Here's Eric on a little bridge we crossed over to get to the end of the point.
My Mom is very involved in the local artists group. They have portrait drawing on Thursday nights. We went and while Alex, Hannah, and Ryan took turns as the model, the rest of us drew their portraits. I have to say mine came out better than I thought they would. Here's Alex posing. BTW, they are told not to smile as it's hard to do that for the 20 minutes you sit.
Here's my drawing of Alex...I won't show you my drawing of Hannah as it was the first one we did that evening and it makes her look like George Washington.
Part of the fun of posing is that the artists often let you take home the picture they drew of you. This one was done by Sarah. She's really good.
Of course, we went to the beach. This year we actually had a bit more sun than we usually do, though there was still plenty of fog at other times. Here Glen is enjoying the sun and some peaceful thinking time on the beach.
This picture was taken the day after the sunny picture above. Plenty of fog for making moody photos.
Depending on when we get to visit my parents, there are wild blackberries to be found. This year we got there just as they were coming on, so we got some, though we wished for more.
Another thing we did was to hit lots of garage sales. Two of the sales were right next to the California-Oregon state line.
Here is Alex enjoying a treadmill at one of the sales.
What's a visit to the Oregon beach without some rock climbing? Ryan and Alex are enjoying the McVay Point tidepools.
Still at McVay.
It's Hannah's turn to sit and contemplate.
I believe this is Ryan. As I said, climbing the rocks at the beach is a must.
This is not a good photo...but I was driving and could only aim my camera in the general direction and hope I got the dragon sculpture in the photo. This was taken just a little bit north of Yreka. It's one of the favorite spots on the trip...like passing the shoe tree or the giant cow in the field just a little bit (1 mile???) south of the dragon and our first glimpse of the ocean.
Love this dragon.
I took the time to play with the photo of the dragon a little, so here's a better view:
OK, so that was a bit from our trip to my parent's house. What else do we do in the summertime?
I put up one batch of peaches...and then taught Eric how and he put up the second batch. I also did a batch of jam.
Hannah and her friend Becky made the water balloons that are in the bird bath. Alex made the one he is holding.
Now, if you're Glen, you've spent most of your summer working on the Boy Scout Jamboree that is currently being held in Fallon. Here is a photo of some of the recycling cans that he made to put up around the fair grounds.
Glen and I take our walk down Perazzo Ln and back just about every morning. Here's a view from the end of the road.
Eric and Ryan worked together to make some banana bread. (the white stuff on top is sprinkled sugar)
So, we are enjoying our summer and hate to see it end. Only 1 1/2 weeks left!

sounds like you are busy...good parenting on everyone learning how to bake and can. Good job on your art. I am impressed, I only draw flies! Greg and I have a friend who is an artist and just finished a big project about drawing. He asked us to pass on the link or something. It doesnt mean anything to me since I am not an artist, but I will find it and email it to you...It looked pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteThanks Terra. I went to accurasee.com and it was pretty amazing. I'll forward it on to my mom.
ReplyDeleteWe just drove past that dragon!
ReplyDeleteCute pictures! (I imagine that you have a very tired husband and sons tonight. The Jamboree has been so fun for our ward!)
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love the dragon, Amy. One of these years I hope we get a good photo of it.
ReplyDeleteDebbie, I know I'm sure tired, so I'm guessing the boys are, too. Glen's going to need a lot of napping after Saturday.