Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Forgotten Depression

I have been spending a bit of time lately learning (and re-learning 'cause I used to know some of this stuff, but have forgotten it...I believe my dad used to tease us--as adults--that he's forgotten more stuff than we ever knew in the first place...I'm starting to realize that that could very well apply to me now as I seem to have forgotten a lot of stuff).

I've been reading, listening, teaching, and even watching old "You Are There!" episodes with Walter Cronkite (I love Netflix) on several topics (for instance: I think, after all these years, I have a handle on "por" and "para" in the Spanish language...which is one of those things that I used to know and had lost over the years...).

One of the reasons why I love subbing in different classes is the opportunity it affords me to learn. The other day in an American government class while presenting the topic of the Supreme Court, I learned a bit about the Trail of Tears. Perhaps years ago I knew more about it than the fact that the Cherokees were forced to march from their homelands to Oklahoma and that many (4,000) died. Did I ever know why it all happened? Can't really say, but I know now.

Andrew Jackson refused to uphold a Supreme Court ruling that the Cherokees in Georgia needed to have their already-in-place treaty enforced. As President, it was apparently his job to enforce the laws but he didn't want to enforce this one...his words were something to the effect of "Let Mr. Marshall [the Supreme Court Chief Justice] enforce it.".

Seems there was gold (the first gold rush...way before California's) on their land and men were coming and taking it even though it belonged to the Cherokees. Eventually they were forced to leave their homes. Of course I'm leaving out a lot of details, but it was tragic (not that I think people don't think it was tragic...I just didn't know the Andrew Jackson part and found it weirdly fascinating...like watching a train wreck on replay...).

Another thing I recently learned about is the Depression of 1920. Never heard of it? Glenn Beck called it The Forgotten Depression. Harding had just taken over the presidency from Wilson. How did Harding (who died after only 2 1/2 years in office) and his successor Coolidge manage to overcome this depression? Not with stimulus packages or with tax increases, but by the government cutting spending -oh- and cutting taxes. Within 18 months-2 years, the depression had ended. The national debt had been reduced, too, because of their efforts. WHY DON'T WE DO THAT NOW???

We hear a lot about the Great Depression. It lasted over a decade, and yet FDR (who was elected in 1932, so the Depression actually was inherited from Hoover's years) is praised for all his programs that eventually led to the end of the depression. Hmm.

Please, can we go back to the Constitution and leave socialism and progressivism behind us? Pretty please.

Forgive me for being in a (parenthetical) mood today...I hope my post is still coherent, even with all my interruptions...

5 comments:

  1. My great-great grandparents walked the 'Trail of Tears'. It has always been spoken of with sad respect in my family; how horrible it must have been for them. (Indian vs. White -- my identity is always in conflict because of this.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Jennifer, I don't think I knew that about you.

    Do you know anything more about their experience other than they were part of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cherokees that lived there in Georgia were amazing. They had created their own newspapers that were printed in their language and everything. It's one of the sad parts in American History.

    There was another trail, much like the Trail of Tears, that happened in the west during or just before the Civil War, but no one mentions it because they're too busy talking about slavery. US indian relations is the darkest part of our past.

    But really interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that they were not married at the time, but met after their families were herded to Oklahoma. Somewhere I have a letter from my great (great?) Uncle Eli who mentions it, but I haven't read it in a long time -- this summer.

    A really interesting fact is that the 'alphabet' of the Cherokee is actually a syllabary, made up of the 85(or 86)syllable sounds found in their language. The 'letters' have an ornate shape to them and are not supposed to be simplified. Using the syllabary has a greater cultural meaning than plain literacy. I could go on and on ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, Jen, for Intervention/Quidditch come prepared to enlighten me.

    ReplyDelete