I'm a fan of Glenn Beck. The title of this post is from his show today.
Not being silent is tough for me. I am more than willing to discuss politics...and religion...but I am not the one to bring up the subject. That is for several reasons.
One reason is...I abhor contention. And, as we all know, political and religious discussions, when between those who don't hold the same views, often get heated. I can't take the heat. Even if I am not directly involved.
For example, there are some people and shows (i. e. The Savage Nation) that I cannot listen to for even a few seconds, even if I agree with the main ideas presented. Others I can tolerate a bit, but then need to turn them off (anyone remember when Rusty Humphries had Bill Mander's spot on KOH at 3 pm several years ago? I had a hard time listening to him for any length of time).
I realize some feel the same about Glenn Beck, and I do admit that he can be very rude (i.e. "Like Rosie O'Donnell stepping on the scale, the UN's problems are too large even to register with most people anymore."), but he also pokes fun at himself...saying he is a pasty dough boy, etc.
Another reason why I prefer to be silent is... my memory is weird. I have a hard time grasping concepts so that I can remember them wholly. Since I can't remember details to support my beliefs, I don't like having conversations. They make me feel inept.
My Glen might disagree with the following statement, but I also don't like stating my opinion about things because to me, it's like telling the other person in a polite way that the other person is wrong. If we believe 2 different things, doesn't that mean that one of us is incorrect? What if I'm the one who is wrong?! Nope. I'm sure I'm right...I think.
Hmm. I don't even like having bumper stickers on the car (for more reasons than just aesthetics). I don't usually want my opinion to be out there. Maybe I need to see a psychiatrist.
And, of course, since my life is guided by fear way too much, I'm afraid to share my opinion. Afraid of offending others...afraid of boring them...afraid of having them get mad at me... (besides the afore mentioned reason of being afraid of looking stupid or incompetent).
Now, some complain that people who listen to Glenn and Rush Limbaugh and others are mindless dummies who follow blindly. I listen because they espouse beliefs I already held. And if I listen long enough, I hope to be able to keep some "concrete" info in my head, so that if I ever have to support my beliefs, I'll be able to give the reasons for why I feel the way I do.
Also, they spend all their time looking into things and I get their research for free.
Like ACORN changing its name in many different states and going "underground."
Bertha Lewis, from ACORN, calling the Tea Party movement a bowel movement. She said a lot of other outrageous things too. Check it out if you are inclined:
Now, I don't consider myself a tea partiest (I love making up words even if my spell-checker doesn't like it), but I'm certainly much closer to being that than a socialist, or communist, or nazi... She is off her rocker. I can say that since I don't think she'll read my blog.
Also, if you are a democrat, the socialists are invading and hijacking your party (which, I guess, you don't mind if you believe that socialism is the way to go...):
socialdemocratsusa.org
Then, if I got it right, Brandeis University held a conference on Right-Wing Radicalism. They compared the Tea Party Movement to the Nazis. Hmm. Comparing people who believe in small government to people who believe in large government. I don't see the connection. Totally different. I think they also held up a picture of Glenn...(my memory is TERRIBLE and I just heard this this morning)...and I THINK they called him a Nazi. Maybe I need ginko pills before I need therapy.
I am not a racist. I want blacks to vote. Just not through the antics of ACORN.
I am not racist. I just want those who enter the country and work here to do so legally. I want those who are here illegally to be sent home. They can find someone to leave their american-born-and-therefore-citizen children with in a nice place while they are gone or they take the children back to their own country with them and the children can return at age 18. I am not the one separating their families. It is a consequence of their illegal actions.
And, just throwing this in--I don't believe in global warming. I believe the earth has natural cycles. The volcano in Iceland put as much CO2 in the air as Europe does in an entire year. Plants love CO2...they don't think it's a pollutant. It makes them grow more, faster. However, I am for wise use of our resources, of course...
Must we always label people?
ReplyDeleteThe 'earth cycles' have increased significantly since humans began burning fossil fuels, how significant depends on what length of cycles you look at ... I'm not even going to mention what cow ranching has done to the atmosphere!
I agree with everything you said!! I am not afraid to discuss those things anytime, anywhere, with anyone!!
ReplyDelete