Some days subbing go better than others.
Danny Tarkanian, who is in the US Senate Republican Primary (to go up against Senate Majority Leader Harry--may he be voted out of office by a worthy candidate this year--Reid), was going to speak at the high school today during lunch, so I wanted to be there. Therefore, I was very happy to get a job subbing for the music teacher (bonus-I would be next door to Glen!).
The day started out well as I had prep and the dance class (whose 2 teams both took first place last week in the Gem State Competition in Idaho), which meets next door, came over to use the TV/DVD player in my room and I got to see the clips of their winning dances. I just tried (with Hannah's help of course) to steal the clip that was posted to facebook of one of their performances. Let's see if it worked:
However, after that, boredom ranked high. One good point was that I was able to finish a book I've been reading for the last 2 1/2 months..."Digital Photography for Dummies."
The music teacher hasn't been there in over a week and I got to watch the first 90 minutes of "The Music Man" twice (btw, "Marian the Librarian" is my favorite scene and it will be in my head the rest of the evening, but that's OK. If you want to have it in your head too, click on the link and enjoy the blessing of youtube video clips).
Anyway, I also had 90 minutes of guitar where no one ever really accomplishes anything and I feel like I'm just babysitting and not really helping the kids but just trying to keep them out of trouble. Eric was in 2 classes with me today--choir and guitar, but I had him in the library working on an assignment for his credit retrieval math class. But once again, I digress...
Back to the boredom of guitar class. Towards the end of class, the boredom was broken by a few guitar students (Trouble with a capital "T" right there in River City...OK, trouble might be too big of a word as it, thankfully, turned out).
One of these guitar students is the son to a friend of mine. He shall remain nameless, but for those who want to know who it is, the hint is that he has great hair. Mr. Great Hair and another student went into a "cage" where some band equipment is kept. I see the 2nd student putting the padlock on the handle just when I'm saying that the boys can't be up there and need to get out. At which point another boy quickly goes over and pushes the padlock shut. I don't have the key. I'm afraid the teacher has the key. I wonder how long the boys will be locked up.
So another student takes a picture of the boys in the cage and a minute later informs me that he's already posted it on facebook. Sigh. Maybe I should have confiscated his cell phone, but I was still thinking about the boys being locked up.
I go next door and get Glen. I doubted he had a key, but thought I'd check because he can get into a few rooms on the music side of the auditorium. He didn't have a key, but luckily there was a key in the teacher's desk (why didn't I check there before bothering Glen? Don't know. Wish I had). So the 2 students were liberated before the bell for lunch rang and I was able to go listen to Danny Tarkanian speak to the government students.
Danny Tarkanian should be another post (click on his name to go to his site if you're interested). I don't like making long posts, but I seem to write them anyway, so I might as well talk a bit about him.
Now I have to say his father, who used to coach UNLV basketball, drove me NUTS and so I had a negative feeling about Danny going into this (same for Rory Reid who is running for governor but I can't see ever changing my mind about Rory and I think I have about Danny).
Anyway, I thought Danny presented himself well and he mentioned a few ways that he differed from Sue Lowden, who is also in the Primary. Danny seems to line up more with my beliefs...is conservative, doesn't believe the bailout should have ever happened (this is where Sue Lowden differs), is for lowering taxes and growing the job base...
One thing he mentioned that I have to think about. He talked about having Yucca Mountain be a nuclear spent fuel reprocessing plant.
So, it was an interesting day and I'm glad I'm home. No olympics to watch, however.
You should have left "Mr. Great Hair" in there until after lunch; it would have taught him not to go places he knows he shouldn't have.
ReplyDeletePS He made the baseball team --which means he gets his hair cut next Tuesday!!!
Wow! Congratulations to him...it will be weird seeing him in short hair. I can't picture it.
ReplyDeleteSooo Funny! now we have mr. great hair, and brother hottie.
ReplyDelete