Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Found a cousin

I love family history and I love computers. On Saturday I was notified that someone had previously posted a message to a genealogy board on Roots Web (and the message was in reply to someone else's message and not even to one of mine). As soon as I read her post, I knew that we were related, so I immediately replied to the message board and Mary Jo emailed me within hours.

We are 2nd cousins...our mothers were 1st cousins. She knew my grandpa Ted (I barely remember meeting him once).  Mary Jo sent me some pictures last night. Here is her mom Rita on the left and my mom's senior picture on the right:























Kind of fun. Mary Jo has just started looking into her family tree, so I am able to fill up her chart with info I have (can I praise Catholic records too much? don't think so...though I do have difficulty reading the Latin in some of them). She has a lot of photos to share, which is really nice since I only had a few photos of my grandpa and his parents and none of his siblings.

I also asked if she had any recipes. She hasn't had a chance to look yet. I'm thinking she doesn't, but I would love to have recipes that my great grandma and great-great grandma used, for some reason. I guess it would help me to feel connected to them, even though I haven't met them (or don't remember them).




















Here is a photo of Grandpa Ted's parents, Fred and Perle Mominee. I hadn't seen this photo before.








































Here is Gideon Vincent, Perle's father (known as Pippi...but then again Fred and Perle were known as Mimi and Pippi, too...I'm guessing it's a French Canadian thing and not an Ohio thing). He fought in the Civil War and was at Appomattax when the treaty was signed to end the war.


































Here is Grandpa Ted with Uno (what I am assuming is his dog).

















And lastly, here is Mary Jo as a baby with her brother and my Grandpa Ted.

Since Mary Jo lives in Maryland, I doubt we'll be meeting up, but it sure is wonderful to have contact with someone who can share photos and memories.

5 comments:

  1. This is so awesome to see these photos! Do you have years for any of them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. There are no years that I'm aware of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So is she your second cousin, or first cousin once removed? That's what I've been calling my cousin's children . . . oops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Calista,

    My mom and Mary Jo's mom are 1st cousins...so Mary Jo and I are second cousins.

    My mom and Mary Jo are 1st cousins once removed...

    so yes, your relationship to your cousins' children is a 1st cousin once removed situation.

    When you have kids, your kids and your cousins' kids will be 2nd cousins.

    Clear as mud?

    ReplyDelete