Alex had his Cub Scout Blue and Gold Dinner on Tuesday night. He and Glen made a lovely 2 layer pink cake with an Eagle on it made with sprinkles. I, of course, forgot my camera (I do that a lot...or bring it and never wind up taking photos), so sorry, no photos to post. But Glen and Alex seemed to have a great time working together in the kitchen, and that's what it's all about.
Eric and Hannah were involved in the High School and Middle School Honor Choirs concert in Lovelock this week (Lovelock is about an hour from Fallon). They practiced all day Tuesday and Wednesday and then the concert was Wednesday evening, which Glen and I attended. No camera once again, but since you really shouldn't take photos during a performance, I guess it doesn't matter.
First the Honors Jazz Band performed. Try as I might, I just don't seem to enjoy jazz music. I would have much preferred a marching band, but the kids were definitely talented. The song they did that I kind of liked was The Haitian Fight Song (click on the link to watch a youtube video of the Wakefield MA High School Jazz Band performing it).
Then Hannah sang with the Middle School choir. Most of the numbers were just gorgeous. They had just the girls do Loch Lommond and just the boys do Tutira Mai (a traditional Maori song) and they were both great.
And then the High School choir with Eric in it finished the program. They started off with the students surrounding the audience for 2 pieces (Statsis --click on the link and then listen starting from about 5:22 to 6: 40 to get an idea of this unusual piece --and MLK by U2). It sounded fabulous...only Eric was behind us, so I was glad when they moved to the stage and I could watch him...he's fun to watch as he really enunciates and gets into it.
Last night was the boy scout Klondike Derby where they camp in the snow. Does it need to be said that I think they are insane? I'm so glad I don't have to participate in this. This year they went to Carroll Summit, which is east of Fallon. There was a storm coming in from the west, but they didn't see any flakes until they said their closing prayer today. After many years of worrying about them being warm and dry, I have finally stopped concerning myself as they have always survived. Seems like they had a good time. Eric didn't go (wise move in my opinion), but Glen and Ryan did. I watched some TV and got some projects done while Glen was gone. It was nice. But it's also nice to have him home.
Tonight is a church dance which involves everyone but Alex and me (so much for Glen being home ;). I guess I'll try and get some more things done.
Thursday I went to the temple alone and used it as a way to try and get my rear in gear. I'm trying to do more of what I should. I'm using the treadmill, reading my Conference issue of the Ensign, trying to have better prayers, and trying to take care of things around the house instead of letting them bother me. Three days down and so far, I'm still motivated.
The high school's competition and performance swing dance team has been in Idaho for a competition...and they took first place! Here is a link from a performance last year: Footloose
No comments:
Post a Comment