Sunday, October 4, 2009

We went to General Conference

Glen and I had our 20th anniversary over 8 months ago...but since General Conference is not in January but in April and October, and since Glen is too busy in April to go anywhere and it's less likely to snow in October than in April, we chose October Conference as our way to celebrate 20 years together.

Glen took Friday off from school and we drove to Salt Lake City, spent a few hours in the Family History Library (very disappointing...we didn't find anything), and then drove to Farmington to spend the night at Glen's sister Teresa's...only she wasn't there as she became a grandma again on the 30th (congratulations Jessica and Nathan!) and she was in Logan.

Our brother-in-law, Matt, took great care of us. On Friday night, we got to watch most of the BYU-Utah State game (way to go Cougars! 35-17 in case you didn't know). On Saturday morning, Matt even cooked us breakfast (blueberry pancakes, bacon, and scrambled eggs). We then drove back to Salt Lake because we had tickets for the 10 am session of General Conference.

We arrived at our seats (balcony section) an hour early, happy that we didn't have to contend with any anti-Mormon protesters outside. We got to hear the Mormon Tabernacle Choir practice. Very cool.

I was amazed at how quiet 20,000 people could be. It was really wonderful to be there...I've been a member of the church for over 34 years now and this was my first time attending Conference live...it was only Glen's second time (his first time was when he "stood me up" for our first date back in April 1988--we had arranged to go out for the first time and he had to call and cancel because he was going up to Conference with our singles ward...I had to work that weekend and couldn't go to General Conference).

My 2 favorite talks were from Elder David A. Bednar (becoming more diligent and concerned within our homes) and Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf (love is the hallmark of a disciple of Christ), but the other talks were fabulous as well.

We did not have to contend with any protesters leaving, either; however, there was a man preaching on the corner (I didn't listen so I don't know what he was saying) with a sign that said something about the church of the devil.

We hit the Family History Library for Glen to make a few photocopies while we were waiting for traffic to clear out, and then headed home. We were able to catch the afternoon session of conference on the radio. I think I loved it even more than the morning session. Elder Dallin H. Oaks' talk on how eternal laws are not superseded by God's love was phenomenal. Can't wait to read it again when it's available.

I also loved how Elder Tad R. Callister compared Peter to Joseph Smith...and how we can focus on a few weaknesses or see the real picture.

After listening to Conference, we caught the UNR-UNLV game. Way to go Wolfpack! (63-28 in case you missed that game)

We made it home in time for Glen to catch the last 15 minutes of Priesthood.

For Sunday's sessions, I think Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's will be the talk most discussed. What a powerful testimony! Once again, I can't wait to read it again...and again.

All of the talks were so edifying...it really is such a blessing to have living prophets who guide us. How grateful I am to have found the gospel...and how grateful I am for modern technology that allows us such quick access to the words of our church leaders.

Great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment