Tuesday, October 27, 2009

my washer died this morning

We've had our washer for 19 1/2 years, so I can't say I was totally surprised that it died. I put in an extra-large load. It filled with water, and then nothing happened. Luckily it was a cold water load, so no hot water was wasted. The last time that happened (which was a couple of years ago, I believe) the repairman said that if it died again that we should just buy a new one.

I was surprised the washer went before the fridge (also 19 1/2 years old), because the fridge has been acting up. The temperature controls are very touchy...trying to find the happy medium between frozen milk or warm milk. We also had it fixed a few years ago and that repairman also said that the next time it died, to get a new fridge. So, I'm planning on getting it replaced before it totally dies so as not to cause a major inconvenience. Maybe by the end of the week, even. Since I am having Intervention at my house on Friday, it would be really nice to have it by then, but we'll see.

Of course, the appliance that I have been waiting for years to die still seems to be going strong: our oven (which is only 17 1/2).

I "splurged" and bought the front loading washer and dryer. I just hope they are as wonderful as everyone says. I think my favorite feature just might be that it tells you how many minutes are left until the load is finished. Oh, and the dryer has a drying rack for shoes and things that need to lie flat when they are dried. I have already used this feature today.

On the one hand, I hate dipping into our savings. On the other hand, I am so glad we don't have to go into debt to buy new appliances.

2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous! Okay that seems wrong, but I have been waiting for my washer to die. I will have to talk about what brand etc, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Didn't you recently get a new oven? That's what I've been waiting to die. Our angels must have crossed wires.

    ReplyDelete