Sunday, March 22, 2015

DWTS, a runaway, no sugar, 40 years, Madness, wedding and mission call

Saturday was a busy day. And the rest of the week, too.

Dancing with the Stars (DWTS)

Last night was Fallon's 8th Annual Dancing with the Stars. Glen, who came in 2nd in the 2nd Annual Dancing with the Stars, was one of the 3 judges. His area to judge was artistic showmanship.

The local dance teams performed routines in between the competing couples' numbers. Eight couples danced in the competition--they pair a CCHS Competition Dance Team member with an adult from the community--the Fallon NAS Commander danced with his daughter, local business owners, and 4 educators (which included 2 school teachers who are married to each other) were some of the participants. My zumba instructor and her partner did a Charleston and blew the competition away. It was an awesome evening.

Alex the fugitive ("Never let the facts get in the way of telling a good story"--Glen)

When we got home from DWTS, Glen and I were entertained by the story-telling of Alex's run-in with the law.

The basics: while we were gone, Alex had gone to the cousin's house to play--barefooted and in pajama bottoms (because that's how he usually is when he's at home). After playing basketball for a while, he decided that he needed sneakers on, so he headed home--just when 2 sheriff's cars were passing by. Alex "jumped into the weeds" to get out of the way...it seems this caught one of the officer's attention. He stopped and asked Alex about being barefoot. Alex explained, but maybe he wasn't believed, so Alex was asked if his parents were home. No, they were at Dancing with the Stars.

The officer winds up in our driveway and goes to the door to talk to Eric. He asked Eric for his name, how to spell it, his age, his birthday, Alex's age (and writing this all down)... while Alex went in to get his shoes. Alex comes back out and goes back to cousins. The officer is still there questioning Eric.

At this point, grandma and grandpa drive by, see the sheriff's car, and come over. So Eric goes back into the house. So now the officer is questioning grandma. Apparently he really didn't think it was normal for people to go barefooted. Grandma said it was normal. He didn't believe her. And grandma asked the officer if Eric answered his questions because of Eric's autism. The way the story was told to me, the officer might have wondered if grandma really was who she said she was since the officer had met autistic people before and he didn't think Eric was autistic.

When grandma later stated that the officer thought that Alex was a runaway...

Too funny. Maybe now I can convince Alex to wear shoes at least, even if I can't convince him to wait until bedtime to put on his pajamas.

Family challenge

So, somehow, Hannah comes up with this challenge that we are not going to eat treats. She first mentioned it on Friday and did not eat carrot cake at work yesterday. I had forgotten. But our challenge is now on our fridge and Glen, Eric, Alex, Geoff, and I have taken up the challenge:



We'll see how this goes. Anyone want to join us? There is a prize to he/she who holds out the longest. But seeing as how Hannah was a vegetarian for years, I don't know that anyone can outlast her.

And Saturday March 21st marked 40 years since I had been baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. What a great decision that has totally blessed my life. I wouldn't want my life any other way.

March Madness

March Madness is upon us. I made a bracket, thought I had added it to the family group, but was mistaken. This morning I was tied for 19th place...though the others didn't know it since my name isn't showing up in the "Drink Milk" group. Eric and Alex also made brackets. Eric was with me in the 19th place with a few others and Alex was tied for first! That was this morning, however, and things have changed. Alex has 3 different brackets and placed at 2nd, tied for 3rd, and tied for 9th. Eric is now tied for 13th and I am still tied for 19th place. Oh, well.

Wedding

One of our nephews got engaged this week. Congratulations Tyler and Coral! We hope you will be very happy together!

Mission Call

And in other family news--our niece Sarah opened her mission call of Friday. She will be serving in the Alabama Birmingham mission and reports May 13th--just a week or so after the wedding, 2 weeks after Ryan gets home from Louisiana, and less than a month after Sarah graduates from BYU. Congratulations Sarah! We are so excited for you!

And...our first grandchild is due 2 weeks from today... wow...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Beth! Thanks for a very interesting and funny post! :) I love hearing what's going on at your house!

    ReplyDelete