Saturday, January 10, 2015

what have I done?

First, to finish up posting about Christmas break, I have a photo of Andrew, Eric, and Alex playing 3 games at once. They rotated around the table each taking their turns in Timeline, Lumps, and Love Letter. Each one won a different game. Fun times. Christmas break was the best.


And before I get on to my news, here's some about Glen. Thursday night was the annual Pony Express Appreciation Dinner. Glen got to re-enact the role of William McGee as part of the entertainment. William McGee was an early settler of Fallon and Glen presented a chataqua about him for the museum a few months back. Anyway, they gave Glen this really neat plaque to thank him.




Now, trying to make a longer story short (but I'm not always good at that),  I had told myself during the break that I didn't think I'd ever take a long-term sub job again as my house fell apart when I did have one.

So, perhaps it shouldn't have been a surprise that about a week later (last Sunday) Glen told me that the high school principal was wondering if I'd take a long-term subbing job in health and sex ed--for the entire semester. I think my eyes bugged out when Glen said that. The teacher they needed to replace was moving to a PE position.

I asked Glen's opinion, honestly thinking that he'd think it was a bad idea. He and the kids thought it would be a great idea (Alex is looking forward to me spending money on expansion packs for some of his new games he got for Christmas). Hmm.

Another health teacher, who'll be at the junior high this semester, is a very organized person and has been generous enough to lend me all her binders with her lesson plans in it and some worksheets. It will still take work to flesh things out, but it's so much better than last winter's long-term job where I was only handed the student's syllabus as my guide.

So, I have 4 health classes, one study hall, and a class called "In My World (IMW)."

The study hall is not a study skills, so I don't really teach them any skills. The students just need a quiet place to work and I help as needed. I'm usually good at that.

The IMW class has only been taught one semester before, and that binder was lent to me, too, but it's still a "work in progress" and it will be the biggest challenge, I think. Thankfully I have a TA who was in the class last semester, so he will be a big help. The class covers things like self-esteem, self-management, goal setting, communication, social media, stress management...many of which things are covered in health, but we will go more in depth in IMW, I guess.

Now, I have 3 health and sex ed classes and one plain health class. For the first 15 or so weeks of the semester they cover the same things. Then the sex ed class has sex ed while the health class covers mental disorders. There's a chance the health teacher at the junior high and I will switch places for the last few weeks. I'd really like that. For one, she would do a much better job, hands down. And for another, I've seen some of the material, and I'd really rather not teach the unit, thank you very much. So I'm hoping I won't have to.

This first week went well, I think. I only have one student that I'd rather not as his attitude is so negative. Third block health is full of talkers, but they are nice kids.

And it's weird. I have my own account at school now and my name is on the roll. Weird.

Anyway, Hannah and Eric were signing up for WNC classes this week and Hannah signed up for an online health class...and I signed up for it, too! I think I'm insane.

It's called Foundations of Personal Health and Wellness and it's blurb says:

Covers the components and wellness and of lifelong tools that will help enhance wellness, health values, attitudes and behaviors of self and others. Students will be active in design and execution of personal fitness and wellness plans.

Even if I weren't teaching health this semester, it's a class I'd be interested in, so I'm excited.  

So, if you don't see much of me this semester, you know why.

One week down and 19 to go till summer is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment