Sunday, March 23, 2014

another competition for Hannah, March Madness, and other stuff

Hannah, Nathan, and the Rotary Club Competition

I forgot to mention last week that the Rotary Club had an essay and talent competition. They let the students know on Monday and the competition was on Wednesday, so Hannah and our friend Nathan were the only 2 who entered.

They both played the piano as their talent...and since Nathan is phenomenally skilled, having taken piano since he was a wee one, he won that part of the competition and Hannah came in 2nd (earning her $50). Miss Hannah, after writing her speech on Tuesday night and forgetting to save said essay, had to wing it, but she did well and won--especially since Nathan hadn't written an essay and she was the only one in that competition (earning her $100 for that effort).

They both progress onto the next round of the competition, but I don't know when that will be--it'll probably be when we are at Andrew's graduation since last year she was eligible to move on to the next round, too, but Andrew was getting married and she missed the competition. Congratulations to Hannah and Nathan!

So March Madness is upon us.

This is the only time this household pays any attention to sports. I quickly picked a bracket at the beginning of the week, hoping to go back and really read the blurbs about the teams as I usually do, but that didn't happen. No one else in our home made a bracket.

Out of the 26 entries for our "Drink Milk" group, I am currently ranked a lowly 21st, but at least the team I picked to win the tournament, Virginia, is still in the running. Eleven of our group can't say the same thing. There were some definite upsets (and not the ones I picked). Two of the teams that I picked for the Final Four are already out of the running (Ohio St and Duke). In the past few years when I've played, I wasn't leading the pack, but I at least had a chance to win. I think I'm already dead in the water. Oh, well. It's still fun. But not as much fun. But still fun.

Glen went to Henderson

Glen was gone for 4 days this week as he took 3 of his theatre students to the state theatre competition in Henderson. One boy qualified for the International competition in Nebraska in June. Glen will not be attending that, but good luck to Jared when he goes.

My productive Saturday

I had a wonderfully productive day yesterday. I made butter, made yogurt, made banana bread, did laundry, ironed, watched Harry Potter #4 in Spanish, graded papers, inputted the grades, worked on my Personal Progress goals for Young Women's, ordered a birthday gift for Ryan, scrubbed the shower, trimmed my hair, sewed elastic into the waistband of my 2 newest pairs of jeans so they stay up better, and finished book #3 of the Lunar Chronicles "Cress" by Marissa Meyer (and I loved it). The only thing that would have made my day better was if I had gotten some exercise in (scrubbing the shower almost counted). I just love productive days.

Oh, and I tried a new thing in the kitchen. Our Bountiful Baskets order from 2 weeks ago gave us 8 large, hot peppers. I flame broiled them on my kitchen stove, peeled off the skin, and used them in a mock chile relleño recipe. It was really fun, once I got over the intimidation of a new technique. The peppers make a popping sound as their skin is being charred. Weird. And very cool.

charred on the left; charred and already peeled on the right

No comments:

Post a Comment