Sunday, January 26, 2014

letters from Eric and Ryan read over the pulpit today

The 6 missionaries serving from our ward were asked to write a letter about being a missionary to be read to the ward. Today was the day we shared the letters in Sacrament meeting with the congregation. 

First up is Eric's letter (which is the letter I read). He is serving a family history mission on Temple Square in Salt Lake and not a proselyting mission due to his Asperger's. He has been out for 13 months now and will be coming home around Thanksgiving time.

Eric and his trainer, Elder Smith 7 December 2012
This is Elder Perazzo, reporting from the Family and Church History Headquarters Mission, Temple Square, Salt Lake City, Utah. It’s the second smallest mission in the church, area-wise (we work at Temple Square and some surrounding buildings; the Temple Square Sisters’ mission is limited only to working directly in Temple Square) but it’s one of the largest number-of-missionaries wise (most of whom being senior missionaries and church service missionaries) and, we like to joke, we’ve got the most baptisms as well, dealing exclusively in family history work. It’s certainly the most unique mission in the church--the young elders here are non-proselyte but we live here so it’s not technically a service mission either.

I work in the Data Quality Zone, on the 6th floor of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. We work closely with the employees at the Church’s Family History Department--when any changes are coming to FamilySearch we know ahead of time. For example, soon they’ll be changing the “photos and stories” feature’s name to “memories.” (And now you’re among the first to know. Awesome.)

We have a lot of fun. The missionaries at my mission work in different assignments in different zones around Temple Square--most of us work at the Family History Library. I do that in the evenings. Though we don’t really proselyte, last year we got a new mission president who’s introduced some inspired changes. For example, we didn’t use to need to stick with a companion [while on Temple Square], but now we do. The young elders are now also teaching lessons on Sundays, to senior missionaries of the mission.

So I’d like to share a TESTIMONY BUILDING EXPERIENCE. There’s a lot of good stuff in Preach My Gospel that expresses how important that is better than I can, so refer to that, but also know this: I can tell you that testimony is what separates a decent lesson from a mind-blowing awesome one, because nothing invites the spirit faster than a testimony. And even if you don’t think that you “know” something is true, the spirit will bear witness while you are giving your testimony of it. So good.

I must admit, until quite recently I haven’t been the strongest missionary, and right now I’m having around B+/A-, but I’m working to improve. Once a month we get one-on-one interviews with the mission president; he offers really inspired guidance--listen to his council. This is the hardest thing for me to write about, how detailed I should get, so I’ll just tell you that your mission president will know your specific situation and will receive divine inspiration and advice for you personally.

Okay. What would I say to you now, now knowing what a mission is like?

First, cooking. Balanced diets don’t have to be expensive--V-8 is almost 3 servings of your daily veggies per serving, and Grape Nuts have 100% of your daily while grains in half a cup. Tuna helper is amazing [he underlined  it 3 times]. Tuna’s way healthier than hamburger, and Tuna Helper is way faster & easier to prepare than Hamburger Helper--tuna’s already pre-cooked so that eliminated one step already. And although Tuna Helper doesn’t come in as many varieties as Hamburger Helper, sometimes I buy Hamburger Helper but put tuna in it instead of beef.

Alright, one last thing--a suggestion to my ward on ways to improve setting goals for spiritual achievement. From a Family History perspective, indexing parties are a great goal. It’s relatively easy, it’s actually kind of fun, and it digitizes these people’s names so that they’re up on FamilySearch and thus opened up for ordinances to be completed. Everyone’s happy. It’s a great way to start thinking about your own ancestors and to turn your hearts, and a great gateway to getting into Family history. Ward Temple days are also great; I trust you’re keeping up on that.

Well looks like all I’ve got time for.
Elder Perazzo






Ryan is serving a proselyting mission in the Louisiana Baton Rouge Mission. We do not know where he is today as he was transferred this week. We'll find out tomorrow where he wound up. He has been out for almost 9 months now. Here's Ryan's letter to the ward (read by Glen).

Ryan with Pres. and Sister Wall about 15 May 2013








Good Morning everyone. I'm doing well. I'm having a good time in Louisiana. The ward I'm working in right now is great. They are always nice to us missionaries. Louisiana is considered part of the buckle of the Bible Belt. It's hard work at times, but I do love it. I feel honored to be called to serve here. In Jeremiah it says that the Lord calls people to be hunters and fishers of men. I'm proud to be trusted as a hunter in the great Louisiana Baton Rouge mission. I feel like this is truly the greatest mission in the world.

One memorable experience that I had was at a Zone Training Meeting. At the end of the meeting our Zone Leaders asked us all to go into the chapel. As we were taking our seats they asked us to ponder about Jesus Christ's mission in life and all that he had done for us. They played a hymn to invite the spirit in. After some time of thinking I began to feel more of the Savior's love for me. I had never before felt a stronger witness of God's love for me as well as the rest of His children. I have found it easier to reach out to others because I know God loves them too. It's a great blessing to be able to help others.

There's is a saying in our mission that says. “No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.” My advice to those preparing to serve a mission is that you learn to care about others. Care about their feelings, hobbies, and interests. You will gain a stronger friendship with them as you do so. 1 Corinthians 13 is all about charity. In the first few verses it clearly states how we are nothing without charity. No matter how great of skills you have it won't really matter if you don't have the pure love of Christ in you.

I also urge you to have sincere prayers daily. God is your Father and he wants you to tell Him how you are doing. As you do this you will gain a stronger relationship with Him. You will be able to see His hand in your life more often. You will begin to know of His love for you. You will fine a greater capacity to love others. I don't think it is possible to over estimate the power of sincere prayer.

John 14:15 says, “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” If you have sincere prayers your love of God will increase and your desire to keep His commandments will increase as well. Thankfully your spiritual strength and your ability to do what is right will also grow.

In Alma 34, Amulek basically says we should pray to God for everything. If there is a spiritual goal you aspire to, pray for help. Reading your scriptures will also help. When you read and pray God will help you achieve your goal.

I love y'all. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

1 comment: