| waiting for the play Falling to begin |
The survival part comes in the fact that we leave at 2 am on a school bus and not because of the students (we had a great group). Sleeping on the school bus is sometimes freezing and always uncomfortable. It wasn't too bad this year--it wasn't snowing, so it was warmer than usual, but I still didn't sleep well or for long.
The UTA board brings in some famous people in the show business field, but not always names that non-theatre people know. This year, though, they had 2 famous comedians do an improv session and then a question and answer period. They were Greg Proops and Jeff Davis from Whose Line Is It, Anyway? The show was really great. I didn't bring my camera, so here's a photo from the internet. Greg is the one on the left and Jeff is the one on the right.
Friday, while everyone else went on campus, I stayed in the hotel and read, watched a little tv, and did some family history--I have been to so many conferences (14?) that it lessens my interest in attending the workshops.
Anyway, that evening we were assigned to see the musical Into the Woods. It about the stories of many fairy tales intertwining (Rapunzel, Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk...). They did an awesome job, but the musical is not my favorite because I don't like where the storyline goes (we saw it a few years ago).
Saturday, Glen, Hannah, and I saw 4 plays together. First up, everyone saw The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged. I love this play and have seen it maybe 4 times. It's a comedy and the 3 actors who are in it condense all of the Bard's plays into one production (the football game with a crown as the football with King Lear, King John, and other Kings from the plays is hysterical). The actors were really talented, but they added a lot of sexual innuendos, so I was not so happy with it. I expected higher standards from the conference (I found out later that Hannah actually got up and left, but I wasn't sitting with her and it didn't even occur to me to do so).
Next up, Glen, Hannah, and I went to Falling which is a play about an 18 year old autistic boy and all the accommodations his family has to make to deal with his behaviors. It was quite serious and I had debated going as I don't really like dramatic plays...I find them painful. It was realistic and painful, but not too painful as it didn't totally hit close to home as Eric is high functioning. Although we had some accommodations for him, he wasn't tearing our family apart.
Then, Hannah got to be on the stage for The Real Inspector Hound. She had made friends with Annie, who is a USU-Eastern student and was the stage manager. The play is about 2 critics watching a play, so they needed people sitting around the critics on the stage as part of their audience. Hannah got to be one of the audience members. She has, by the way, now applied to USU-Eastern and is seriously considering going there. The campus is in Price, Utah, which is about 1 1/2 hours from Provo.
| Hannah as part of the on-stage audience |
Alex got to sleep over at Aunt Kathy's house, so he didn't seem to miss us at all.
It is transfer week for Ryan, so we'll find out if he stays in Many or moves on on Tuesday.
Eric sent a few photos this week. Here's one taken of him on Christmas day while he is talking to us. Looks comfy, doesn't he?

No comments:
Post a Comment