Sunday, May 12, 2013

they picked the perfect date and other family news

OK, I forgot to use this when I posted about the wedding, so even though the wedding already has a post, I'm using this anyway:

From the movie Miss Congeniality:

William Shatner's character: Describe your perfect date.

Miss Rhode Island: That's a tough one. I'd have to say April 25th. Because it's not too hot and not too cold. All you need is a light jacket.


And it wasn't too hot and it wasn't too cold, though it was a bit breezy. But the sun was shining and it was a glorious day--April 25th, 2013 in the Salt Lake Temple.


Phew. OK.

Though not as busy as the previous few weeks, there was a lot happening this week. And I'm still tired. My brain is already on summer vacation and we still have 4 weeks of school left.

But we got a great email from Ryan on Tuesday. He's bumped into a lot of people he knows from BYU-I. His companion is Elder Barker from Idaho and they are the Zone Leaders. He says they get along great and their weaknesses and strengths compliment each other and that they were definitely meant to be companions. He says he is learning lots and loves being there. They are typical teens, however, as he says they get along too well and easily get distracted during study time. Having been in the MTC myself, I know all about that.

flashback--March 1984--Elder Brailsford from my MTC district performing "The Shark" comedy sketch. I don't remember anything about it except laughing very hard:




Ryan did not call today for Mother's Day for 2 reasons (I think)--first reason is there aren't too many phones in the MTC, so having all those missionaries call home would be an impossibility. Second reason is that I should get a call on Tuesday from the airport when Ryan will fly to Baton Rouge (with about 14 other missionaries). Soon after that we will get in the mail a photo of him with Pres. and Sis. Wall. On the mission website it shows current assignments http://www.louisianabatonrougemission.org/our-missionaries. I wonder if it'll get updated so I know where Ryan will be before the letter or an email comes.

We did get a call from Eric, though. Sounds like he's doing great. We asked if he's bumped into any famous LDS people so far...the first thing he tells us is that The Piano Guys were at Deseret Book (just south of Temple Square) and one Elder went there and had them sign a CD. But the Elder wasn't Eric, so he hasn't met The Piano Guys. Too funny. (by the way, we LOVE The Piano Guys--5 dads from Utah who use the piano and the cello--here is a link to a page with their video links)

Eric did say that Lloyd D. Newell  (the Music and the Spoken Word announcer) did put his hand on Eric's shoulder while he was going around greeting people. Well, he still has just over 1 1/2 years to bump into someone famous.

Also talked to Andrew. They had an open house at a park in Provo last night. They were afraid no one would come, but luckily they were wrong. An old friend of Glen's even showed up hoping Glen would be there (but we stayed in Fallon--Glen's student's had a play this weekend). The newlyweds are settling in and attended their brand new ward today. I asked Andrew if he'd met any of his neighbors yet. Yes, he has and apparently the neighbor across the hall is named Andy Perez. Thought it was funny.


OK, this brain dead girl is heading to bed, but first I want to say thanks to all the wonderful women in my life who have had such an impact on me and my life. My daughter, my mom, my sister, my mother-in-law, my sisters-in-law, my nieces, my friends, and now my daughter-in-law...so many have been such a great example to me of womanhood and motherhood. You don't need to have children to deserve honor on this day. We all have a sphere of influence. Thanks, ladies, for being such a great influence in my life. And thanks guys for cooking for us today. It was delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment