As I mentioned last post, Glen and Alex were the grandfather and grandson, Eric was the Albino, and our nephew Joseph played the Gatekeeper. Turns out this week another nephew, Michael, was a guard and the priest who performs the marriage. He had been out of town last weekend, so someone else had his part. Great stuff.
And as far as Glen's beard goes...it's already gone. He grew it for the play, but then he had a choice--he could kiss his wife or he could keep his beard. Smart man opted for kissing his wife.
| We arrived early and Alex climbed into his bed. Hannah went up and read to him. |
| Alex and Glen in their spots and ready to go. |
| Eric in costume. |
| Glen had my camera and took an action shot of Fezzik knocking down the door for Inigo. |
| Ryan the photo-bomber, Glen, Joseph, Eric, Michael, and Alex |
I forgot to report that Hannah was on the Academic Games Team and they finished first this year (I believe Andrew has one of these, too):
Eagle Luncheon for Ryan:
| Ryan and Glen waiting for the meal to honor 2011's Eagle Scouts (135 earned the award, 15 were at the luncheon) |
| Ryan leading the Eagle Scout pledge (which explains why he has the script) |
A sample page of Eric's college notes:
| I could not study well from Eric's notes, but he seems to do well with them |
I was contacted by Jodie this week because she found my post about my great-great grandmother Ann Catherine Shoemaker Riddlebaugh Joy Norman. Jodie is descended from Catherine's brother Joel. Jodie and I are 4th cousins once removed. My family history blog once again has proven useful. I had info she didn't, and vice versa. Love it.
BYU-I Sinfonietta:
Tuesday night the BYU-Idaho strings group, Sinfonietta, on a tour of Nevada and California gave a free performance in the auditorium. Wow, were they good. At times the 15 violins sounded like one...plus they picked beautiful pieces that really showed off their talents.
I cannot find an example of Sinfonietta playing, but here is one of my favorite pieces of the night. They did the 4 movements of Ernest Bloch's Concerto Grosso. I liked the 4th, a fugue, best. Here's a link to it being played: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQKV72k0a1c
And one piece that I didn't catch the introduction for (or they forgot to give it as I was paying pretty close attention) was what members of the LDS church recognize as "If You Could Hie to Kolob," which is based on Vaughan William's Five Variants of Dives (pronounced Deeves) and Lazarus (one of the many things I've learned by attending BYU Ed Weeks). Here is a clip to that done by the BYU Chamber Orchestra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glEIhCP_BDY&feature=related
Andrew's finals:
Last day of class for Andrew was Wednesday. He had his first final yesterday and will finish up on Tuesday. Then spring block starts next Monday.
Butter making:
I live on a dairy farm and have only made butter once or twice and cheese once. We (usually Glen) do make yogurt occasionally.
Anyway, I decided I need to make butter more often. So I skimmed the cream off 2 gallons of milk, set it out till it reached 60ยบ, whirled it in the food processor for about 9 minutes until the butter coalesced, drained off the buttermilk (which was later used in pancakes), rinsed the butter in cold water, added a bit of salt, and the end result was about 6 oz. of butter. It's very simple. The worst part is cleaning up the mess I made while making it.
| after whirling for a while, the butter just "comes together" |
| drained |
| rinsing |
| butter |
Stamping:
| Becky's card |
| Michelle's card |
| my card |
We accidently made butter in my KitchenAid last week. It was supposed to be whipped cream, for strawberry shortcake!
ReplyDeleteLoved, loved, loved the play! (What a talented family your have!)
ReplyDeleteI too, enjoyed the play. I remember making butter all the time when I was a child. We had a milk cow most of the time.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the play too! Your family did do a fantastic job! Cute cards! And I'm so glad you found your missing items. :)
ReplyDelete