Sunday, February 20, 2011

Valentine's Day, snow, and San Fran

Glen and I rarely give gifts to each other for Valentine's day (or our anniversary), so I was a little surprised when he handed me a little box of chocolates. I thanked him and then recognized the box as a $1 purchase from Walmart (I had considered buying one to send to Andrew, but opted for a bag of candy bars instead). I questioned him about it. Nope. It did not cost him $1 but was free...he had been given it the day before at church, so he "re-gifted" it to me. I had to laugh. That's about our speed, and it's OK with me.

Hannah went to San Francisco with some members of the high school's reading club this week. I will see if she will attach photos here for us all to see. We've had such lovely weather the last few weeks...but it was snowing these last few days. We feel blessed that they made it over the mountain and back again safely (the pass was closed for a while when they were in California). Sounds like she had a good time. Besides seeing lots of good things (a Maritime museum, fisherman's wharf,  California Academy of Science, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, and a beach), she ate "vegan" for one day...and was thrilled that when they went to an ice cream shop there were actually 2 items on the menu that were vegan.

She lost her wallet in the science museum and some honest person found it and tracked her down. Lucky girl. Sarah said it was quite funny. Hannah would "overreact" to everything, so when she calmly told Nicole, my friend and trip chaperon, that she lost her wallet, Nicole didn't believe her at first. She had to tell Nicole 3 times before Nicole realized Hannah was serious. Too funny.

As for the snow, we woke up to several inches of snow on Friday morning...and it continued to gently snow for several hours. I couldn't take pictures because I let Hannah take my camera on her field trip. Then most of the snow melted. Saturday morning we woke up to more snow...and no electricity. It went off around 2-3 am and was finally back on around 11 am. Electricity is such a miracle. How happy we are to have it...and how happy that it happened on a morning we didn't have to do anything (my hair was a bit wild). If it had happened this morning (Sunday), that would have really messed us up.


Ryan will FINALLY have his Eagle Scout Board of Review this Tuesday night. If all goes well, they will approve his application and he will become an Eagle Scout.

It's transfer week in Iowa this week. We will find out on Wednesday whether Andrew will be transferred or stay in Ames for 6 more weeks. With 4 months to go and only 2 1/2 months in his current area, it's hard to say. Meanwhile on Wednesday, David and Jackie will be in Lansing Michigan picking up Adam from his mission! Time flies.

A few photos from Hannah's trip:

 a little bit of weather

a little local color

a little wildlife


a famous place

a little food



a little bit of Chinatown


a little bit of fun

a couple of cousins

a little bit of sand and surf

a little bit of a view

a little bit of muscle

According to Hannah, Glen is in the dog house. Why? Because he hugged the above girl,
calling her daughter, and asked how the trip went.
Problem being, above is Megan, the other redheaded girl who went on the trip.
I do think Hannah and Megan look a lot alike, so don't know that I really blame Glen much. Hannah does.


Here's a picture of Hannah, so you can compare her to Megan a little bit better.

1 comment: