Glen was in the newspaper a few days ago. Glen is the Pony Express District Commissioner here...one of the "Key Three" for the Pony Express District, so he helped to present some awards to Mayor Kenny Tedford and former mayor and current city councilman Bob Erickson.
A few weeks ago Glen was involved in a beading ceremony where he received his beads for his Woodbadge participation a few summers ago. Woodbadge is where adult leaders participate in a week long camp and set goals. Then there is a year (1 1/2 years?) in which to accomplish your goals. If you do that, you get your beads. Glen's ceremony was a little past due...(speaking of which, Eric earned his Eagle last February and we still haven't had his award ceremony...).
Glen and I sometimes have communication problems and I don't know where the communication broke down here, but it did. I knew there was a dinner, but somehow I didn't know he was in anything and I was subbing for cub scouts that night (which I didn't have to do, but I really was the most logical choice), so I was there for the dinner, but missed the beading ceremony cause I was off building treasure boxes with the bears. Luckily, his parents attended the dinner and were there to see him receive his beads.
On February 12th Glen will be receiving the Silver Beaver Award for the Northern Nevada Council (which includes part of California). Here is the blurb from the scouter.org website:
*****
Silver Beaver Award & Annual Recognition Dinner
Now is the time to recognize the hard work of your fellow scouters by attending the Annual Recognition Dinner on February 12, 2011 at the Grand Sierra. We will be honoring the Silver Beaver class of 2010.
JoAnne Baumgart
Kent Hanson
Linda Holmes
Glen Perazzo
Terri Pearson
Jim Shurtliff
Kevin Stebbins
Linda Woodland
The Silver Beaver Award is the highest form of recognition that a local council can bestow on a volunteer. Information about the dinner can be obtained from the council office 787-1111.
*****
Glen's upcoming play season includes The Psychic (directed by nephew Michael), The Secret Garden, and An Enemy of the People. Plus he still has to choose plays for his Junior High students.
Andrew is still in Ames serving as a missionary and doing well. Five months to go. I have to say, though, that I'm not really counting. Every once in a while I check. Now our nephew Adam finishes his mission in Michigan on the 23rd of this month. Amazing. Can't wait to see him and hear his stories!
Eric has started classes at the community college for this semester. Three are online and 2 are evening classes (Tuesdays and Wednesdays). Plus he goes to Institute on Thursday nights (a religion class for college-aged students). This means that I am chauffeuring Eric around a lot, but I don't mind. And of course he reads a lot, picks at the guitar occasionally, and has just gotten his learner's permit for driving (so maybe I won't be doing all the driving for him soon).
Swimming practice has started for Ryan...and he then had swimmer's ear and had to sit out the second week of practice. Instead of swimming, he got some conditioning in by joining Hannah for her track team practice. He should have his Eagle Board of Review soon, and if he passes that, he and Eric will have their Eagle Ceremony. He still has his learner's permit.
Hannah, who is counting the days until she gets her learner's permit on June 1st, started track practice when Ryan started swimming practice. It is so beautiful...they both have practice on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 3-4:30. So, Glen just works at school and brings them home together. Love it. She and Ryan have been attending most of the home basketball games (they have a cousin, Michael, on the JV team and a cousin, Brent, on varsity) and having a great time cheering.
Alex is reading up a storm these days and recommends these books: Magyk, Flyte, Dragon's Breath, and Once Upon a Curse. He loves making smoothies. He is doing well in school. I guess that covers the life of a 10 year old.
I, Beth, continue plodding along. Don't know if my goal of paying off the mortgage by July 1st (when Andrew gets home) will be realized, but at least we'll be close. Which is good considering what the future holds (less pay, 2 kids in college, need a new car soon, summertime trips). My weight, cholesterol, triglycerides, and thyroid hormone levels are all high, so I need to spend more time on my health.
I like to listen to audiobooks when I'm in the car or cleaning and I just picked up To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I almost didn't get it, but am so glad I did. I am one of those who doesn't like to read (or watch) painful things and Glen's put on the play before. I know it's a painful story. But it's a classic and I felt I should at least give it a try. I am loving it. The painful *stuff hasn't started yet, but I am just so enthralled with the language and happenings of Scout and her family and friends (which the play mostly misses). Fabulous. Fabulous. Fabulous. We'll see if I still say that when I get to the trial.
As for reading books and not just listening to them, I am currently reading several. I am almost half-way through To the Rescue, which is a biography of our prophet, Thomas S. Monson. I especially recommend the chapters on his childhood. It will give every parent hope. Not that he was bad, but he was a little rascally. Fascinating story. Some of the "coincidences" in his life are awesome.
I am half-way through The Other Side of Heaven which is the story of Elder John H. Groberg's mission to Tonga. It's been made into a movie, which we own and love. There are some more lessons and introspection in the book than the movie, and of course it's fun to see what they rearranged for the movie. Once again, it's a fascinating story.
I'm Not Perfect, Can I Still Go to Heaven? Finding Hope for the Celestial Kingdom through the Atonement of Christ by Anthony Sweat is a book recommended to me by my sister. She gave me a Deseret Book gift card for Christmas and I used part of the money to buy this book (and it was on sale for half-price!). Brother Sweat is a seminary teacher and though the book is fictional it is based on his interactions with the teenagers he has taught. Good read.
I am also reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince in Spanish. I got it for my birthday. I am trying to improve my Spanish and I have discovered that reading a book (that you already know and love) in a different language really is a great way to work on your foreign language skills. I occasionally listen to movies in Spanish, too. My reading skills are definitely better than my listening skills. My goal is to read 6 pages a day. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. That's OK.
So, life is good and we are doing well or well-enough.
*I know that the English teachers push not using the word "stuff" but I'm doing it anyway. I like the word (since this isn't a formal paper, I think I can get away with using it).

So glad you are liking the book "I'm Not Perfect.." I really got a lot of great insights from it. So glad you are in an "All's right with the world" state of mind lately. I love those moments. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing! (You do so much stuff so very well!) Congratulations to Glen! (He certainly deserves the award!)
ReplyDeleteI love To Kill a Mocking Bird. Super amazing book. Told through a child's eyes, it really exposes the situation for what it really is. It just wouldn't be the same if Atticus or even Calpurnia had been the narrator. Or even Jem. Plus, the stuff with Dill and Boo Radley in the beginning is totally hilarious.
ReplyDelete