Sunday, August 16, 2009

There's no place like Ed Week. There's no place like Ed Week. There's no place like Ed Week...

...darn! I'm still in Fallon.

I can't believe I'm not in Provo at this time. Like I was in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2008. 2005 was the only year I haven't been... I've been twice without my sister, but this year I just didn't want to go without her.

I tell myself that I've been often enough and I don't want to spend the money. And now I've been out of town so much this summer that the thought of driving anywhere further away than Reno makes me want to scream.

So, I've decided to post highlights from my notebooks so I can savor past Ed Week experiences. My notebooks are one of my most treasured possessions. What I will post are quotes, thoughts, and info that really impressed me.

Ed Week 2000

GLENN I. LATHAM:

Don't suppose that short-term compliance achieved using coercive means leads to long-term goals. Coercion produces only short-term compliance followed by long-term losses.

Say or do to your children only what you want said and done to your grandchildren.

Don't allow children to establish our level of civility. Children are low. Our job is to civilize them.

Children will be children--that's why adults should be adults.

DOUGLAS E. BRINLEY:

While sixth-tenths or three-fourths of the Saints will keep the commandments, the curse and judgments of God will not come upon us (Brigham Young JD 10:335-6)

...the Lord will take care of the Saints; it is our business to be Saints. (John Taylor JD 22:141-2)

from Denise's notes of BARBARA BARRINGTON JONES' class:

A woman gets her self-esteem from her relationships--especially with her husband. A man gets his self-esteem from his work.

Women have a relationship with their house. "Honey, please fix it" is important.

Your mate is Heavenly Father's sandpaper.

Man said, "There's 80% of me that's good and 20% that's not so good. If you dwell on the 80% we'll be happy--on the 20%, we'll be divorced."

The more you love a man, the more they'll change themselves. They need to feel respected and loved.

Brigham Young said we need to make ourselves beautiful for our husbands and this is not pride--that would be like denying the beauty in the place of the gods.

MERRILEE A. BOYACK:

Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them. --James Baldwin

Brother Murphy's law: Anything bad can and will happen at Church.

You will almost always make better decisions for your child than he would make for himself. --John Rosemond

John Rosemond--Self-sufficiency is the yardstick of self-esteem. The road to self-sufficiency is paved with frustration, disappointment, failure, falling flat on one's face, and other equally "unhappy" experiences. We cannot afford to deny children these things.

Dorothy B--In successful parenting you literally try to work yourself out of a job.

BAHR, LOVELESS, and MANWARING:

Housework is about building a family, not taking care of a house.

We are not our childrens' bosses; they are not our employees. Salvation is not given to the most efficient mother.

KENNETH W. MATHESON:

If you get chocolate all over your hands, you are eating it too slowly.

Quit using the past as the velcro to justify inadequacies now.

We judge others by their actions and ourselves by our intentions.

ANGELLE ANDERSON:

Jenkin Lloyd Jones--Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he's been robbed.
Most putts don't drop. Most beef is tough. Most children grow up to be just people. Most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration. Most jobs are more often dull than otherwise.
Life is like an old-time rail journey--delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders, and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed.
The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.

Elder M. Russell Ballard--We must recognize our limitations. No one can do everything. When you have done the best you can, be satisfied and don't look back and second guess how you could have done more. Be at peace with yourself for what you didn't do. Congratulate yourself for what you did.

Most kids get into trouble because they don't know how to get out of it. (Use role playing to teach them what to do in different situations)

SCOTT C. MARSH:

We are more likely to share money with a child who saves. Is Heavenly Father any different?

LINDA DASTRUP:

Telestial choice-thinking of ourselves
Terrestrial choice-social choice
Celestial choice-spiritual choice

JULIE LYNE DYMOCK:

"What makes a talent great is the end to which it is directed--to glorify God and serve mankind." Bill L. Hill (sculptor of Logan Tabernacle Pioneer Monument)

Growth always comes outside the comfort zone.

Do what you love because what you love is an indication of your talents and gifts.

Neal A Maxwell--I know the celestial criteria measures service, not status; the use of our talents, not the relative size of our talent inventories. I know that Church membership is not passive security but continuing opportunity.

Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley--Whatever your calling, it is as fraught with the same kind of opportunity to accomplish good as is mine.

J. LLOYD ELDREDGE:

Poor readers did better if reading difficult material with assistance than poor readers who read interesting, but simple, material matched to their "instructional reading levels."

2 comments:

  1. I was just going to go look around the bookstore to see if you were there, just in case you had a late lunch today. So I guess I'll stop looking :).

    Have a great rest of the week! And I loved your Ed Week thoughts - keep em comin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Calista!

    I plan on a post for each year I went...

    ReplyDelete