Sunday, February 22, 2009

Genealogy...my new focus

I've decided I don't like to use the word obsession...so I'm going to use the word focus for this email. I think it fits better and certainly sounds more mentally stable (whether I am or not is not up for discussion here, however, but at least I sound that way, right?).

As I've mentioned before, I jump around in what I focus on. Most recently it's been Spanish, reading and music. I guess I'm back on the genealogy track again.

It all started with a simple little email from a Suffolk county, New York list I'm on...the kind of email I often ignore. It mentioned a website for checking out some newspaper articles from the area for the 1830s to the 1960s. I just had to plug a few names in.

So, I have come up with some new leads...one says that John Henry Miller (my great-great grandfather) has a brother-in-law ex-commissioner of highways Henry B. Southard. My attempts to find out anything about Henry (like his wife's name so I know who John's sister is!!!)have been disappointing. But it's always fun to have a new lead.

Then I tracked Ezra Sammis's family only to realize that there had to have been 2 Ezra Sammises in the area and most of the info I found did not deal with my 4th great Uncle. Oh, well, that's the way it goes.

So, for the last several days I've been at the computer...and my kids aren't happy about me bumping them off. What a blessing computers and the internet are to family history work!

How long with this focus last? Until a new one comes along...however long that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment