Sunday, November 22, 2020

AM, Eric, Christmas decorating, and chasing the Mayflower (unsuccessfully)

Aunt Margaret (or AM as we affectionately called her) was laid to rest on Wednesday, a beautiful fall day. We did not have a funeral as there will be a memorial service at some point later, but I'm so glad that all 11 of us who live in Fallon were able to be there. My brother-in-law, Gary, took some great photos, which I have "stolen" from his facebook page to post here. 





Friday was Eric's 29th birthday. When asked what kind of cake and ice cream he wanted, he requested vanilla ice cream and then a red velvet and carrot layered cake. It actually tasted pretty good. Happy Birthday, Eric!


I prepared the baking pans--Glen did all the rest

I don't think I have ever decorated for Christmas before Thanksgiving before, but that's what I did yesterday. And we only put up 2 trees-- the main tree in what I call the middle room and a little one in the living room so when I'm crafting on my wonderful new table, I can have some Christmas cheer there. 

Last year, I decorated the main tree in silver and gold and loved it. This year, I opted for red and gold, and I love it, too! I still have some other decorating to do, but I'm mainly done and keeping it simpler this year.





My childhood was spent in New England. I grew up on Mayflower stories in school and I wished I was a Mayflower and/or Native American descendant.

My dad's roots go back to New England in the mid-1600s...but no Mayflower. And my mom is of French Canadian descent...possible Native American ancestry there, but it's not proven.

Then one of the programs we use for genealogy told me that I had a Mayflower ancestor--Moses Fletchter! So I went to investigate. He died that first winter without children here, but he had left children in England. I investigated further.

Hopes dashed. Someone had said that Moses was the father of John who was the father of my Rev. William Fletcher...only John would have been 9 years old when William was born... they had attached William to the wrong father, so no Mayflower connection. :(

Glen, however, is a descendant of John Alden and Priscilla Mullins, so John and Priscilla are my children's 11th great-grandparents. I guess that's good enough for me. for now. still hoping to find a connection... 

No comments:

Post a Comment