Tuesday, October 27, 2020

some family photos

Alex in Wyoming and Hannah and Kaellen in Montana are facing a cold winter. And Ryan and Angeles are about to move up to Rexburg, Idaho, where they will also be looking at a cold winter. Then there's Andrew and his family in Mesa, looking forward to a mild winter with Glen, Eric, and me being in-between the 2 extremes (but closer to Idaho's temps than Arizona's I'm guessing). I'm already drinking several cups of herbal tea and pero a day trying to stay warm.

Anyway, Glen and I recently went to Brookings. As I'm sure I've mentioned in previous visits to Brookings, we just love the chalk drawings that are drawn on the cement wall on the path to the harbor.


Besides enjoying the art work on the wall, we had a little family reunion and a memorial for my dad. We looked at some slides my dad had taken--mostly from the late 1950s and the 1960s. I now have the slides, and we wound up buying a nifty little machine that digitizes slides and negatives. I thought I'd post just a few of the digitized slides here. I am working on scanning some old family photos and my grandfather's scrapbooks, so I haven't done much with the slides yet. I still have to decide which ones I'm sending out to actually be printed, but I'm so exited to have this project to work on.

Besides bringing home dad's slides, we also brought home the desk that belonged to my 3rd great-grandfather, Joel Jervis. The desk now technically belongs to my brother Kyle, but he's in New Hampshire, so we are hanging on to it for him. Glen and I painted a wall near the hall, put the Jervis desk against it, and Glen hung Joel's picture above the desk. I plan on adding more family photos to the wall.

photo of Joel Jervis (1790-1863) above his desk


And speaking of photos, as I was doing some family history research recently, I came across a photo someone had posted on Ancestry.com of another 3rd great grandfather, John Miller (John Miller and Joel Jervis's grandchildren married each other). No offense to Grandpa Miller, but I find him a bit spooky-looking in this photo. I've been having a great time working on my family history projects. 

John Miller b. 21 April 1812 Staten Island; d. 5 May 1899 Brooklyn

Now here are just a few slides from my dad's collection:
me and Deni in Copiague, New York

me and Deni

me, Deni, and Scott in Findlay, Ohio


Scott, Deni, Mom and me in Franklin, MA


Dad with the finished snowlady



1 comment: