Monday, September 2, 2019

family history, my mom's portrait, G's truck, pottery

For the past 3 months my main activity was language studies, mostly done on duolingo. This past week I barely did anything on duolingo (or anywhere else), because my new obsession is my old obsession: family history research. Hours and hours every day. Glorious. I only had one sub job last week, so that left me with a lot of time to research. And that led to me making my first post in 2 1/2 years on my family history blog with just a few of my findings:

http://turningourhearts-beth.blogspot.com/2019/09/william-j-jarvis-is-actually-william-t.html

Now William T. Jarvis is just my 1st cousin 4 times removed (his father Hendrickson was a 1/2 brother to my 3rd great grandfather, Joel), but I'm very happy with my detective work and what I was able to find out about him and others in the family.

When I made the post about our visit to see my parents, I forgot to post a watercolor my mom gave me that her art teacher, Audi Stanton, made of my mom. It think it turned out great. :) I need to frame it!

Barbara Jervis by Audi Stanton

I also forgot to post that, a few weeks ago, just before school started, Glen had a sad separation. His truck, which is older than our marriage, was finally considered by Glen to be past fixing and he turned in the plates and cancelled the insurance on it. He is sad. I am happy, sort of. I am sad for him, but I'm happy for me because every time he drove off in that thing, I was worried he would get stranded. (we all know I'm a worrier, though)

The day it died, he was at the intersection just before the fairgrounds (which is where he was heading), which luckily is across the street from the high school's student parking lot. Some nice Navy guys helped him to push it to the fairgrounds. Later Eric helped him tow it across the street to the high school.

Glen has given it to the school's auto shop for the students to play with. Maybe it'll be used like a cadaver in medical studies. Maybe they will revive it. Who knows. Anyway, condolences to you, Glen. Sorry your truck didn't last you through to retirement. He's already had to borrow the farm truck and another teacher lent Glen his truck once, too, so he's managing.

1987 Toyota pick up. It served Glen well.
Pottery just started up again. First on my agenda was glazing some pots I made during the summer. I really love how they turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment