Sunday, August 11, 2019

summer recap

I last posted about 1 week after summer vacation started. We are in denial, but school starts in a week, so I guess it's time to post again.

The beginning of summer brought Alex's Eagle Court of Honor on June 11th.

Logan and Alex shared their Court of Honor. Uncle Alan helped out.
Carol, Logan, Scoutmaster Shane, Alan, me, Alex, and Glen

Our niece Sarah's marriage to Luke in the Reno Temple was on June 15th. Such a wonderful thing to witness. Congratulations! They now live in Elko, and Glen and I had the privilege of staying at their place on our way to and from Idaho in July.

leaving the Reno reception
Our nephew, Thomas, opened his mission call on June 26th. These days the calling comes in an email. He will be serving in the Missouri Independence mission, entering the Missionary Training Center on September 11th (one month from today). Congratulations Thomas! We know you will be a great missionary!

reading his email to us

Glen, Eric, and Alex had Woodbadge Scout training the third week in June (Glen was on staff and Eric and Alex took the course). It was held up at Camp Fleischmann, which is north of Chester, California.

Glen sent me this from his cell phone...our phones don't take the best pictures :(
I took the summer session of pottery studio. I did a few pots on the wheel that I really like, but I love my Chinese dragon the most.

my dragon as greenware
All done! His copper red finish is metallic in the light.

In July, Glen and I went to Rexburg, Idaho for Angeles and Ryan's graduation from BYU-Idaho (and thus the opportunity to stay with Sarah and Luke). Most of Angeles's family was also able to be there. Such a wonderful occasion. So glad we could be there for it, too. Congratulations Ryan and Angeles! They are now looking for colleges where Angeles can get her masters in marriage and family therapy and Ryan can finish his degree in Latin education.

Angeles got her bachelors and Ryan got his associates
Coming home from Idaho and Elko, we took a short little side trip to Lamoille canyon, about 45 minutes outside of Elko. Beautiful scenery.



The beginning of August marked the first anniversary of Glen and my walking together 3-6 days a week, every week (okay, I think we missed one week when my foot was really hurting). We usually go 2 miles in the morning. It's a great way to start the day. All in all, with my ski pants, the cold wasn't a problem and there was rarely snow on the ground. In the summer, we go early enough that the heat hasn't kicked in yet. We've often walked during the summer, and one year I think we walked until the end of September or beginning of October, but we had never gone past that. I'm so proud of us.

December 5, 2018 trudging along on Perazzo Ln.
We have a new route these past few weeks, and our walks these days have us going through the dairy. I like to greet the girls as they eat their breakfast and wish them a good morning.


Alex participated in an alumni tennis tourney at the high school on August 3rd. He won 2 of his 3 matches. In this match, his cousin Thomas is his doubles partner.


We left right after the tournament for our annual summer trip to visit my parents. Glen, even when he's on vacation, seems to have need for activity. One day, he and the boys joined the Brookings ward and helped some one move. Then Glen built 2 screens for 2 older ladies who needed them for their home. The ladies said they wanted to clone him. He is awesome.

We love going to Oregon in August because the wild blackberries are ready for picking.

free for the picking and delicious
On the way to the harbor, there is a large cement wall. It becomes a canvas for a lot of chalk art. Glen and I took advantage of some angel wings and halo someone had drawn.
it was in the low 60s on our a.m. walks (and only 70s during the day) so I needed a jacket


one of the many chalk drawings that caught my fancy


tide pool visit at McVay Point
A recent storm had brought in a bunch of debris and many people were building things on the beach with the driftwood. Glen joined in by adding a few branches to this structure.

Sadly, I don't have photos of my parents as the few I took to send to my brother didn't turn out. :(

But it was a great visit. My mom always plays games with us, but my dad usually only joins us to play one or two games when we are there. This time around, though, he played a card game called 3 to 13 with us every night. He had done the same thing when my sister was there in July and had been on a winning streak. Luck wasn't with him for our visit, however, and he didn't even win once, but I think he still had a great time. I know we sure did.

Games and lots and lots of ice cream were the order for the week. Wish they lived a little closer so it would be easier to visit them. Love you mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment