Monday, June 12, 2017

retirement? Dad's birthday. Crazy teachers. Adam's song.

On Monday, Glen and I traveled to Carson City to meet with someone at the Nevada PERS (Public Employees Retirement System) office. It's hard to believe (at least for me, at any rate), but it looks like Glen will only be teaching for 2 more years. That will give him 30 years in the system with him retiring at the ripe old age of 56. I told him that that was too young to retire, so he's thinking about what else he can do when he's done teaching. I picture him working in a hardware store. He can't picture that.

Part of our Financial Peace University homework for next week was to discuss with your spouse your retirement plans and dreams. I don't know that we've come up with anything concrete in our discussion. It's hard for me to picture it all. Besides just being with family, we've said since we were married that we wanted to serve some missions, do family history, and work in the temple. And? I feel like there should be more to our plan, but that's about it at this point. We have a bit to figure it all out.

Since it was D-Day on Tuesday, Glen and I went to watch the John Wayne movie "They Were Expendable" at the old movie theater . (At the beginning of July they will be playing "Independence Day"--the first movie, and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is slated for the beginning of August). Neither of us had seen "They Were Expendable" before. I really liked it...though we wish we could have found out what happened to the nurse.

The suffering so many endured made me think of the book I recently read about Shackleton's ordeal in Antarctica ("Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage to the Antarctic" by Alfred Lansing).  What people can endure and survive is mind-boggling.

Thursday was Dad Perazzo's 85th birthday, so we all gathered in the evening for cake and ice cream and sharing stories about Dad. Happy Birthday Dad!!! You and Mom raised a great family!

Dad surrounded by his children: David, Teresa, Alan, Glen, and Kathy

And Friday marked the end of the school year for Hannah, Andrew, and Denise. Congratulations on surviving another year!

If you have facebook, you should be able to see this cute little video that Hannah posted from her classroom during finals.  https://www.facebook.com/hannah.perazzo/videos/10207964292105637/

In case you can't see the video, she posted these words to go with it:

So I'm pretty bad at keeping people updated, so here's what I got:
A couple months ago I took over for a math teacher at Swope Middle School as he went on medical leave. After all the lesson plans, accepting late work, and being at the school till 9 pm on countless nights, I learned just how freakin' crazy every single teacher out there is.

But part of me gets it. After making room S-6 my home, spending all day with these witty kids, and being able to be myself as I taught, something started to feel worth it.
Hahahha, never going to do it again though. That was the craziest job. Loved it, good experience, moving on.
Thank you so much, Swope Middle School.

Did you catch how she just called her Grandma Perazzo, her father, her Aunt Denise, her Uncle Gary, and all other teachers crazy? (Aunt Kathy and me included?)

And she posted to YouTube a video of a song that she wrote, using Michael's words, called "Tall: A Song for Adam Reed Perazzo." He passed away 5 years ago on June 2nd. We love you and we miss you Adam!

Adam at Alicia's wedding



So today is the first day of Young Women's Camp. Glen and Kathy headed out at 5:30 am...in the rain. The snow level isn't supposed to get as low as Buck's Lake California, where they are going, but it's probably raining.  :(  I'm so glad I'm not going. I told Glen I sometimes feel guilty about not liking camping and not wanting to go to YW camp, but then yesterday I told myself that there are people who wouldn't want to teach seminary (and I do). So I guess we all have our little niches. Camping is not one of mine.

I have not been too motivated to do summer projects yet. I'm hoping I'll get in gear this week and get something good accomplished. 


2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad about not loving camping. You're right, you've totally put your time in with seminary! And then some!

    ReplyDelete