Sunday, December 8, 2013

I'm older and more tired...

So yesterday was my birthday. I'm 52 now. Which, years ago, sounded so old. It doesn't anymore. Though my body is wearing out. And sometimes my mind, too. Bonus for me, though--it had snowed during the night and everything was white and lovely for my day.
Saturday morning--it later cleared up and the sun came out
Yesterday was a Saturday AND my birthday...I looked (I know, I'm weird) and that hasn't happened since 2002. Thanks to leap years, it's been 11 years since the two coincided.

Why am I so interested in this? Because it was HEAVEN. My dear, sweet husband got to be with me on my birthday. No meetings. No practices. Just home. Normally I barely see him as it is often play season and the auditorium is being used for all sorts of things. For my 50th birthday he originally thought he was going to be able to be home for an hour or two and eat dinner with me, but with a play going on the next night, he wound up needing one more play practice and then he had a scouting thing. I didn't see him until bedtime. Not heaven. (though I realize at least I still had a husband and he eventually made it home, so I guess I can't really complain). Having him home was the best.

Anyway, we did chores until noon and he was a big help. Then we played my new game that I got for my birthday, Tzolk'in. Then Glen went and got our tree and Alex helped him put it in the tree stand. Then we watched a movie. Bliss. Pure bliss.

Does this look familiar?
who's crazier...me or my children?
or perhaps this looks familiar?
Hannah and Geoff made me a birthday cake with oreos on the outside. And since we only had 0's, 1's, and 5's for candles, they had to get creative to make a "52." (btw, I'm dressed and writing my talk that I gave today at church...I was just cold, so I had my robe on)

What do you do when you only use the outside cookie part of oreos to make a cake? You use the filling to make one giant cookie that I would never want to eat.

Other good things to happen this week:

Annual Christmas dinner and party at Jennifer's. This year we wore our pajamas and had a white elephant exchange. And laughed a lot.

On Tuesday, for Young Women's, we decorated graham cracker houses that will be used to decorate for this Friday's dinner at the church .
Madison, Victoria, and Laura
Amelia and Laura's creation
 Yep, another week survived. Another year down. And just 17 days till Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. The pictures are sooo funny! I love it! And I am sorry I didn't realize it was your birthday, so I could wish you happy birthday yesterday! You are a very beautiful 52! Thanks for your amazing example and goodness. So many lives have been blessed because of YOU!!!! Happy Late Birthday! Love, Annalee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalee! You are so thoughtful and amazing and are a great example to me, too.

      Delete