Sunday, August 11, 2013

trampoline tent and a new oven

Well, when we got back from vacation, our 20 year old oven was acting up. I have been waiting for YEARS for it to die...but first the dishwasher had to die, and then the fridge, and then the washer and dryer. These were all replaced before I finally, this week, got to get a new oven. Only it won't get hooked up until Tuesday as we have to wait for the propane company to come out and convert it from natural gas to propane. That's OK. I can wait a few more days.

But it's a stainless steel convection oven with 5 burners that we got for half-price. Right now it's sitting in my dining room. It'll look even better when it's hooked up and working.



Another happy thing from this week is that Glen finished his special project of taking an old parachute and turning it into a tent for the trampoline. You can buy a trampoline tent for around $150. Glen paid $18 for some pvc pipe and rigged up this:

view from the outside

view on the inside
Alex, Glen, and I even slept out in it the other night. Hannah declined. It wasn't too bad, but next time I'm going to angle the sleeping bag differently and sew up the rip in the zipper that kept letting the cooler air in.

Glen and Alex climb the 90' silo occasionally and yesterday they took the camera with them:

Glen looking down while climbing

looking southwest

looking west

looking northwest to our house hidden by trees--see the trampoline tent in the yard?

looking east--see the new milk barn they are building? part of the framework is up
Well, that about wraps it up for this week. Only 2 weeks left of summer and then school starts on the 26th. I don't even want to contemplate it...

But before that happens, we have the Perseid Meteor showers the next few days. We always look forward to that. Then we have haircuts and shoe shopping still left to do. And I have Ed Week in a week!

It's been a wonderful summer.

2 comments:

  1. Super fun pictures, Beth! And where did you get that oven for half price! That is going to be one sweet cooking device! :) Love the parachute tent! How fun.a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annalee.

      We got it at Sears. They were having a sale last week-end and this was probably the best deal in the store, and it turned out to be the only one as the warehouse was out of them. I would have loved a double oven, but they were a lot more. I've never cooked with a convection oven before. I'm still debating what I want to bake in it first, but I'm sure I will have fun with it.

      Delete