Saturday, March 28, 2009

Glen can't say no...or I feel like a killjoy

Was it just on Wednesday that Glen commented to me that he misses being at home? Between school, "Hello, Dolly" (which opens on the 2nd), scouts and church stuff, he's been gone. A lot.

So he was lamenting that he's never home. Then on Thursday he calls to say that Valerie from the Arts Council has free tickets for us for the Gina Sicilia concert (which was tonight) and do we want to go. I knew he'd be at school all day working on the "Hello, Dolly" set and all we knew about Gina was that she did jazz music. As a general rule, I don't like jazz. As a general rule, Glen doesn't even listen to music (unless I'm the one who put it on). I don't even know if he owns a CD (though he does buy them for use at school).

So, I mention some of those things to Glen but also say that if he wants to go, I'd go with him because I try not to be too much of a killjoy, stick-in-the-mud, party pooper. But I really didn't want to go.

He said he wanted to go. It would be a date. I told him it doesn't count as a date when you bring your children along. But I guess he just couldn't he turn down free tickets? He ordered 4 of them.

Tonight Hannah threw a fit and begged not to be forced to go, and Glen finally relented, so she stayed home with Alex (who also didn't want to go...last concert we took him to, he fell asleep before it even started). So, I guess now it counted as a date.

No joke...they weren't 2 minutes into the first number when Glen looks at me and says he's ready to go home. Of course, we waited till intermission...an hour later. I actually kind of liked the music and tapped my toes to the first 2 songs. Turns out she's a blues singer. I'm not really into blues, either, but she has a terrific voice. However, each song had an electric guitar solo...I don't like electric guitars.

Also, each song was too much like the one preceeding it...and it was hard to understand the words because the instruments were too loud (Glen mistook "the red rooster was lazy" for "the red rooster lays eggs" and I mistook "kissing in the dark" for "kissing a dog" but a lot of the time I couldn't understand any words at all).

Which brings up stupid lyrics. She sang a song she wrote about a child whose only friend was a cherry tree and then someone chopped down the tree (and the only reason I know what the song was about was because she told us and not because I understood what she was singing). Give me a break.

But Gina really has an amazing voice. Here's a link to a youtube if you want to hear her voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bIMMEMg_AA&feature=related

OK. I promise to be in a more positive mood in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. lol...sorry but you two are HILARIOUS! That also totally sounds like something Jeremiah would do. Funny.

    ReplyDelete