Saturday, August 9, 2014

our trip to Oregon

Well, Hannah was afraid she'd be bored in Brookings with just the 4 of us going to visit my folks, so she invited her best friend, Becky, and her boyfriend, Geoff, to come with us. We were going to take the mini-van, but it needed to go into the shop instead. We had to take 2 cars which worked out well for the teenagers (and I'm not complaining that I didn't have to listen to their music on the 9 hour trip). I mention that because Hannah posted a photo on facebook of them in their car and a friend thought I had sent the kids by themselves. Nope, we all went.

On the way there, the kids stopped off at Burney Falls for a few hours, so we beat them to Oregon (we also beat them home as they missed a turn and didn't notice it at first, so went through Redding). We arrived around dinner time and the sun was shining...one of the few times it was shining while we were there. The only morning the sun was shining and there wasn't any fog was the morning we left, of course--our first morning there the kids got up early to watch the sunrise...and of course it couldn't be seen. But it was 30º cooler there and we enjoyed it.

We did the normal things...going to garage sales and thrift stores (the best buy--Geoff scored a $200 acoustic guitar for only $50), walking to the harbor (which is only a mile away), going to the Manly Art Center (it was Art in the Park time--aka Festival of the Arts--weekend with lots of booths, live music, and good food--I love Art in the Park), playing games, hiking, Geoff and Glen helping my dad with some carpentry items, watching and/or flying RC airplanes (OK, I actually stayed home since I was so terrible at it last year, but the others went with my dad), eating, and watching a little TV. And the kids visited DQ and McDs several times. Oh, and I got to visit Les Schwab to get new my tires and have them aligned. Joy.

I actually took very few photos (just one of Glen, Hannah, and Alex and none of me, my folks, Becky or Geoff), so there isn't too much to share. Hannah took more but I haven't seen them yet.

So it was another fabulous week. We are so grateful for my parents hospitality--especially in taking in a few extras. Thanks mom and dad! It was so good to be with you!

on a walk to the harbor we came upon this photo op--
Aunt Margaret had given Hannah a skein of yarn to knit a scarf...
Alex bought himself a new game for his DS and really enjoyed it

highlight of the trip home--passing the Weinermobile (license plate reads: IWSHIWR)

No comments:

Post a Comment