I forgot to post the photos I took last week of the notebooks Hannah and her friend Sarah made. Sarah is currently taking the missionary discussions and is being baptized this week. It was wonderful to have her spend all 4 general sessions of conference with us. I love the notebooks they decorated and wish they were mine.
| Hannah's conference notebook |
| Sarah's conference notebook |
Signed up for Ed Week
Right after conference ended last Sunday, my sister texted me to say that she had finally made a decision about her job in the fall. She is not going to return to her current teaching position (5th grade language arts) but is going to sub and write the children's book that she's been wanting to write for years. By that evening we were all signed up to attend BYU Ed Week together. If she had been teaching, we couldn't have gone. We are very excited!
Earned my Personal Progress award
On Monday I finished up my last requirement to earn my Personal Progress award (for the 3rd time--1st at age 17, then at age 30, and now at 52). It is a goal program for the Young Women of the church, but any woman can complete it. The requirements for the adults are less than for the girls.
Women need to accomplish 3 specific goals in each of these 7 areas (girls have 7 goals for each area): Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, and Integrity and 4 goals in the category of Virtue (for both women and the young women). Plus you need to accomplish 3 projects (girls need to accomplish 8, one in each area), one of which is reading the Book of Mormon.
https://www.lds.org/young-women/personal-progress?lang=eng
Once you finish your Personal Progress, you can earn your "Honor Bee" by reading the Book of Mormon again and accomplishing 40 hours of service. I'm working on that now.
Appreciation Dinner
Wednesday night Hannah was involved with the Student Council and Rotary club in serving a spaghetti dinner to teachers in appreciation for all that they had done and are doing. Dale Erquiaga, Glen's best friend from high school who is currently the Superintendent of Public Instruction for Nevada (his signature in on our teaching/substitute licenses), was the guest speaker. It really was a great evening.
Ice cream social
Our ward tried something new for an activity this month. We signed up for an ice cream social. Glen and I wound up hosting one of the groups. We provided ice cream and those who were assigned to our house brought the toppings. To me it's a miracle that everyone brought a different topping (blackberry sauce, strawberries and reddi-whip, brownies, chocolate sauce, and hot fudge). We had 18 people here. It got a little loud, but I think everyone had a nice time. It was a fun idea having it in homes instead of at church.
Senior citizen discount as reward for cleaning the temple grounds?
Saturday morning found Glen, Alex, and I at the temple helping to clean up the temple grounds. Alex and I weeded and Glen helped clean up some sagebrush. Afterwards we took Alex to his first visit to El Pollo Loco. I ordered separately from the boys since they weren't ready. After we got our food Glen looked at his receipt and saw that they had given him the Senior Citizens Discount (10% off). Turns out they had given me one, too. Hmm. Oh, well.
Still hoping for the 21st
The teacher I'm subbing for is still planning on coming back next Monday, the 21st. We just hope that his doctors agree and allow him to do that. I've been blessed to have this job (we had dental bill and car repairs that it covered), but I'm ready to be done.
Graduation is almost here
2 school days left for Andrew and Heather
Andrew and Heather go to class on Monday and Tuesday, then have a few study days before finals start. And then Andrew graduates with minors in Math and Rhetoric and with a bachelor's in English (I know I'm not supposed to start a sentence with the word "and" Andrew, but this is informal writing, so I'm doing it anyway). Only 2 days of college left for him! For now, anyway. Wow.
And Hannah's high school graduation is in less than 2 months now. Wow.
No comments:
Post a Comment