| Glen starting his 25th year teaching; Hannah starting her senior year |
| Alex starting 7th grade |
I've had some time to work on some family history this week. Every so often it's good to recheck the internet as new sources and databases are being added all the time. I was able to make some headway with some cousins, so that was good. Sometimes working on cousins helps me to find new info on our common ancestors. I was able to find the full birth and death date for Mary Elizabeth Pinner Russ and where she and her husband are buried! They are my great-great grandparents. I am looking for proof that who I'm sure are her parents, really are. Still working on that. But any success is heartening.
Saturday I got a called from Pres. Wadsworth asking me to bear my testimony in Saturday night's session of our Stake Conference at church. Since they gave me a heads up last conference but then didn't call on me, I wasn't too surprised that it was going to happen this time around. On the one hand, it was a great experience in that I really felt the Spirit as I was pondering what I might say. That's always the best.
But then, of course, I was called on and had to actually get up and speak. That's kind of no fun as I prefer to stay in the background. I don't know that I gave them what they were expecting--I was asked because I have 2 sons on missions and another one that was just married in the temple-- and I didn't even mention those things. I also told Glen ahead of time that I loved him and appreciated him since I usually don't say those kind of things from the pulpit and a lot of people do.
I mentioned some things that I feel deeply. One of which is what I heard in a sacrament meeting in Provo a few weeks ago. The Lord loves us and doesn't point an accusing finger at us for what we might have done wrong, but He has His arms open wide and says to us, "Come, unto me, all ye that are burdened and heavy laden." I really like that image--full of love.
Since I spoke first, I was able to sit back and enjoy the rest of stake conference. As always, it was inspirational.
Now, for a little report on my use of essential oils. I seriously doubt a lot of the claims that the companies make, but I have had some success with a few oils that I use.
toothaches:
Clove oil has really helped take away toothache pain for me several times. I recommend it.
allergies:
This is one I really think helps, but I can't swear to it as it isn't as quick to take effect as the clove oil is. It might be working or I might just be having a mild allergy season. August is my allergy month. I read where you take 3 drops each of lavender, lemon, and peppermint oils 3 times a day for allergies. I put them in empty gel caplets I bought at the health food store as I don't like tasting them. I started only taking it twice a day and it really seemed to help. A friend said she only used lavender and it works for her. I'm now down to taking it just in the morning and I don't put the lemon in it.
gingivitis:
The jury is still out on this and I won't know until my next dental cleaning in a few months, but I put one drop of melaleuca (tea tree) oil on my toothbrush at night. I don't have gingivitis yet, but I do have a little bit of trouble with my gums being "puffier" than they should, and it's been an ongoing problem. I hope the anti-biotic properties of melaleuca will help with my inflammation.
stuffy nose:
It should be no big surprise that the eucalyptus oil really helps with that.
stomach and intestinal problems:
DigestZen is a specific blend sold by DoTerra, but other companies have similar blends. It really seems to work. You can rub it on your belly, but I prefer to put a drop in a capsule and take it with 1/2 a glass of water. There have been numerous times where it's made my stomach feel almost instantly better.
headaches:
I've had mixed results using peppermint for headaches, so I usually just take advil now.
Beth, once again I'm amazed at our similarity in interests. I've been studying EOs the past year. I've done a lot more with herbs, though. I'm happy to hear about your success with clove. I've actually made a glycerite with clove (the herb) and catnip for my baby when she's teething. I'm sure it's not as powerful as clove EO, but that's probably good for a baby. I don't know if it's helping or not, but she has been sleeping better, so it's certainly not hurting. (I give it to her at bedtime.) Do you get all of your EO from DoTerra? Just curious.
ReplyDelete