Sunday, June 23, 2013

2nd week of summer--more projects

Ryan and his companion are swapping places with the zone leaders this week...he'll now be in Albany, Louisiana instead of Amite. So, I can't wait to hear all about that in a week. There wasn't much work in Amite and there's supposed to be a lot more in Albany. Hope so.

Anyway, I've had a wonderful, full week. Glen's been busy, too (poor thing keeps getting drafted into my plans). Some of the week's highlights:

Glen and Alex made homemade whole wheat bagels to go with the cream cheese I was making...my cream cheese wasn't creamy, however, as I forgot to leave the milk whole, but had ladled off the top layer of cream. Next time, if there is one, I'll know better. The thing is, with the cost of the mesophilic culture needed to make cream cheese, I'm almost doubling the cost of my cream cheese by making it myself...$1.39 to buy 8 oz at WinCo but $2.70 to make 10 oz at home, and if I didn't live on a dairy farm you would have to add the cost of a 1/2 gallon of milk to the $2.70. Maybe I just need to find a cheaper source of the culture.


the finished product--it was pretty good
Along with making cream cheese, I also made a small batch of mozzarella...it was edible, but I think I added too much rennet and I zapped it too long, so it was not soft. It should come out better next time.

I finished up some pinterest projects I had started last week. I've been saving old keys for years and finally made a wind chime out of them. It sounds nice, but it doesn't get any breeze as I want it inside so I can see it:

Glen cut some wood for me and I used my silhouette cutting machine to make two 4th of July projects:


I tried many times to make a version of a family tree pendant that I liked but was small enough that I would wear it. I finally gave up and had the idea to make a sun catcher, of sorts (its diameter is only  2 1/2"). I like it:

Friday June 21st was the first day of summer and the day of the longest sunlight for the year. I wanted to take advantage of it. Glen was willing to go on our morning walk a little earlier than usual so we could catch the sun rise:
sunrise just starting
We had a family get together that afternoon as Glen's sister, Teresa, and part of her family were visiting. We chatted and played games all afternoon and evening, but Glen was once again a good sport and went on a walk with me at sunset so I could catch the sun going down:
sunset
3 of Glen's siblings: Kathy, Teresa, and Alan
Grandpa, Joseph, Michael, Sarah, and visiting niece Amanda
Speaking of Michael...his mission call should come in the mail this week!!!!!

Now if Friday was all about the sun, last night and this morning was all about the moon...it was at 99.9% brightness at 4:33 am. It's called a supermoon. The following definition is from wikipedia:

A supermoon is the coincidence of a full moon or a new moon with the closest approach the Moon makes to the Earth on its elliptical orbit, resulting in the largest apparent size of the moon's disk as seen from Earth.
because that's when the full moon occurs when it's passing closest to the earth for a whole year.

The moon was big and beautiful, but I honestly wouldn't have known it was anything different if the internet hadn't told me so.

This is the moon rising...since the sun hadn't set yet, the moon was so pale I almost missed seeing it rise--I thought it was just a cloud at first:

And this was the moon at 4:34 am--I don't know how to make my camera take good photos of the moon:

(one of the best parts of summer is when you do crazy things like get up at 4:30 am to see the moon you just tell yourself you can take a nap later)

No comments:

Post a Comment