It was Perazzo Clan vacation time this past week--it's been a very interesting week, too. We had fewer numbers than usual--only 24. I think our high one year was about 40.
We got to camp for a few days at Lake Almanor before being booted out because of a near-by forest fire at Butt Lake. We then continued our now-revised activities here.
Saturday we spent some time at the lake. Glen and I did a little canoeing. Some of the kids went tubing. And of course, we played lots of games and got some volleyball in. I wish I had video. We are a riot,even if I do say so myself, and have a great time playing.
Sunday we attended church with the Clear Creek ward and nearly doubled their numbers. It was excellent--great teachers, great spirit. More games that afternoon.
 |
| Thomas and Alex playing Dominion |
 |
| Michael (and several others) really liked this Perplexus Epic ball...you "navigate" a steel ball around a track |
Hannah went back to Fallon for tennis try-outs and was supposed to come back on Tuesday (Hannah went with Maddie who went to volleyball try-outs). One disappointment--it was supposed to be the big night for viewing the Perseid meteor shower, but there was no visibility due to the smoke.
 |
| smokey sky |
Monday we had a friend of Andrew's, Caleb, come up from Reno to spend the day with us. Volleyball again, games, and of course, food galore.
 |
| We thought the smoke made the lake look like a foggy ocean beach |
 |
| the ash collected on the lake's surface and then washed ashore |
 |
| Joseph and Andrew playing pinochle |
 |
| Grandpa and Grandma cheering on their grandchildren |
 |
| Michael serving, with Glen, Thomas, Sarah, and Joseph |
 |
| the sky looked pretty good (no smoke) after we were told we'd need to evacuate |
Monday evening is when we got the word that we would have to leave the next morning...the evacuation was voluntary for residents, but we weren't residents. Funny thing was...there was less smoke on Monday than there had been all week-end. I even got to see a few meteors that night.
Tuesday we came home. That evening we went roller skating. At first I wasn't going to skate, but Glen and the boys were...and everyone was wobbly, so I thought I could look as unskilled as the rest of them. I'm so glad I did. I had an absolute BLAST. And by some miracle I managed not to fall.
 |
| Ryan, (Eric), Alex, Andrew...and friend, Glen, Beth |
 |
| Ryan, Eric, Alex, Andrew, Glen, and Beth (Hannah was in Fallon) |
 |
| Andrew having a good time at the roller rink |
 |
| Ryan remaining upright |
 |
| Alex playing along with a roller skating game...and he won! His prize was a treat from the snackbar |
 |
| Glen being out-manuevered by Brent (weren't we all?) |
Wednesday we just played more games at Grandma and Grandpa's. Glen and I lost the pinochle tournament that we all had started on Monday to Brent and Andrew.
Thursday was bowling. I wish I had used the bumpers. And I forgot my camera...
And Friday morning, we all went to the Reno temple together. Alex was too young to go in, but the rest of us were there together. It was very special. Afterwards, Grandma and Grandpa treated us all to Kings Buffet. Thanks for a great week, Mom and Dad P!
So, how did the sports try-outs wind up? Hannah and Joseph made the tennis teams and Maddie made the JV volleyball team. Way to go!
When we got back from Almanor, Hannah got her kitten, Steve-- after Steve Rogers the super hero. He was the runt of the litter and is tiny and adorable.
Andrew and cousin Sarah flew back to Provo today. It was so great having him around. We will miss him.
Hannah had a special Young Women's activity today. There was a man, Bro. John Rowe Moyle, who was a stone mason on the Salt Lake Temple. Each week he walked 22 miles to Salt Lake from his home to work on the temple, and then at the end of the week, he'd walk back home. Even after he lost his leg in an accident, he walked the 22 miles each way with a wooden leg. His story was turned into a 15 minute video by the church that can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yXylS9ujxc
This morning, the young women, their leaders, and some others walked 22 miles from Meadowood Mall in south Reno to the temple in west Reno. They got up at 2:30 am, drove to Reno, and started walking at 4:30 am and arrived a little after 2 at the temple (about 9 1/2-10 hours). They couldn't have picked a better summer day as it was overcast and there was actually a cool breeze occasionally.
 |
| on the street below, Hannah was the 2nd young woman to come into view |
 |
| since the 1st young woman who came into view (Al) stopped to eat more wild blackberries than Hannah did, Hannah was the first YW to arrive on the temple grounds. Here she is with Joseph and Nathaniel (the boys only walked the last 3 miles with the girls). |
 |
| the conquering heroes |
No comments:
Post a Comment