Tuesday, September 7, 2010

labor day parade and pressure canning

Glen, Ryan, and Hannah were in the Labor Day parade, so though it wasn't high on my list of "want to dos," I went...and had a nice time. Turns out I got to sit in-between my sister-in-law Kathy and my friends Jennifer and DonNell. The day wasn't too hot and I got to eat a few tootsie rolls that were thrown from the floats. Here are some photos:

Alex grabbing some goodies.
















Ryan (black shirt, black hat, far right) walked with a few others passing out fliers advertising Glen's theatre:














Glen walked the parade pulling his gorilla cart which advertised "Anne of Green Gables" on one side and "Anne of Avonlea" on the other--his 2 main plays this fall. Hannah will be in both plays as it's the theatre 2, 3, and 4 class that is putting it on.











Cousin Ben and Alex watching the parade go by.














The Young Republicans' float...can you spot Hannah?



Here's a close up--Cousin Michael (on the left) and Hannah(half-hidden behind the sign and the elbow because she was on the opposite side of her float than from our vantage point)











Now, for my new pressure canner. I used it for the first time last night...my first time ever using one. I had a bunch of ground beef I had bought on sale in the freezer, so I browned it, bottled it, and with some trepidation, pressure canned it. I now have a batch of meat on my shelf. This morning, I used my canner to bottle up some zucchini. I had a lot of dried beans and I think that will be my next project. Or perhaps I'll try bottling some of my banana peppers. It's really kind of fun,,,

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I LOVE my pressure cooker! I think you'll love the beans. We eat a lot so I certaining love having them ready at the drop of a hat! Happy canning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of you and your pressure canner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of canned meat sitting on a shelf is strangely upsetting to me. Let me know if it tastes good - I am full of trepidation for you.

    This is not meant to be a personal slight - just my background showing through :) Good luck with the canning!

    ReplyDelete